Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times

Advertisements

From a recent ADN Compass peice:

Over the last ten years, as Anchorage grew from a modest 225,000 residents to just around 300,000, the supply of housing within the community has become seriously inadequate. A shortage of housing combined with wages that failed to keep up with the cost of living are causing many middle class, hardworking families to make those wrenching financial choices.
For example, the average cost of a single family home has increased 55 percent while the average family income only rose 39 percent. The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment alone has increased 58 percent. These prices translate to a remarkable income reality: to live in our community, Anchorage households must now earn a whopping $100,000 a year to afford an average priced home, $65,000 a year to afford a condo and $50,000 a year to rent a 2-bedroom apartment.
So how did this housing crisis come to life? New housing construction is dangerously low. Market conditions are no longer favorable for redevelopment of existing, aging housing stock. The rental vacancy rate is just 1.9 percent and recent housing reports indicate that Anchorage will need about 9,000 new homes built over the next 20 years just to meet projected population growth.
At the same time, the three largest occupation sectors, retail sales, cashiers and fast food workers, are making below $25,000 a year. Nearly half of Anchorage families are spending 35-75 percent of their salary just to pay for their housing.

Full article is here: Compass: Lack of affordable housing likely to drive some hardworking citizens out of Anchorage | Compass: Guest Columnists | ADN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
And I don't see any way for Anchorage to come up with the space for 9,000 new housing units. Knik Arm bridge anyone?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
One of the reasons I left Alaska was the cost of housing. I wanted to raise my kids in a house, not a condo or apartment and in a good part of town. Had absolutely no desire to live in the valley.

I think you will start seeing Anchorage becoming a more densely populated city.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 PM

287 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
And I don't see any way for Anchorage to come up with the space for 9,000 new housing units. Knik Arm bridge anyone?
I read an article about the project - forget from where - but that was one of the exact reasons given for it... Choices are limited...

Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
I read an article about the project - forget from where - but that was one of the exact reasons given for it... Choices are limited...
Well, if they stopped building just single- or two story apartment buildings, there would be plenty of room for much of those 9,000.
Granted, there would be more people living in apartment buildings and not their own houses, but that's the case in most bigger cities in the world today. Why not here as well?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Well, if they stopped building just single- or two story apartment buildings, there would be plenty of room for much of those 9,000.
Granted, there would be more people living in apartment buildings and not their own houses, but that's the case in most bigger cities in the world today. Why not here as well?
As true as that is and as valid a point as that is, I personally am tired of being forced to live in a shoebox stacked on a bunch of other shoeboxes with other people who do not respect privacy or have any consideration for what noise they make or how it travels not to mention "when" it travels... I think it only adds to the amount of "road rage" and the level of inconsiderate a holes that you seem to get in bigger, denser pack cities...

I personally look for 1 or 2 story smaller number more spread out complexes... been in one too many denser higher number complexes. But Anc is only a jumping off point for me.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I thought the reason most people leave or want to leave a lower 48 city was to
NOT have to be in an apartment.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM

You don't have to leave the -48 for that - you just have to get out of the city.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I do not live in the city nor an apartment, abd I would not move somewhere that I would have to. The romance about AK has nothing to do with living in a small apartment for the people I know. Not that I am remotely qualified to make that as a general rule - only a statement as to what I have been exposed to.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I do not live in the city nor an apartment, abd I would not move somewhere that I would have to. The romance about AK has nothing to do with living in a small apartment for the people I know. Not that I am remotely qualified to make that as a general rule - only a statement as to what I have been exposed to.

What are your thoughts?
I plan on staying in my RV for the summer when i move up there, look for some land and build a small cabin to live in for the winter. Then building a bigger place, but nothing major... 1,000 sq ft size range - maybe smaller maybe larger, just depends. I also am done with apts, but still believe cramming more people leads to short tempers - man was never meant to be crowed all the time.

I wasn't saying anything wrong with your statement, just glad that they don't try to cram as many people as possible into an acre...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage