Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,390 times

Advertisements

Hello Alaska I'm from NY. I have so many things that I would love to ask about Alaska. Lets exchange Questions and answers from each other.

1. Is all of Alaska light 6 mos then dark for 6 mos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Not all of Alaska. The further south you go the less the variation.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks I did not know that. I thought the whole State was dark for 6 m then light. If NYC is calling for 6inch of snow all the stores are packed. Lol we have stores everywhere.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 AM

275 posts, read 579,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN BOY View Post
Hello Alaska I'm from NY. I have so many things that I would love to ask about Alaska. Lets exchange Questions and answers from each other.

1. Is all of Alaska light 6 mos then dark for 6 mos.
It never is dark for six months. In Barrow the sun won't rise for two months.

Since the earth is tilted at about 23 degrees on its axis, for most locations on earth you are either gaining or losing daylight hours. In the northern hemisphere, the sun rises earlier and sets later each day from the Winter Solstice (around Dec 21) to the Summer Solstice (Jun 21). After the Summer Solstice, the sun rises later and sets earlier as we head back to the Winter Solstic.

The farther north of the equatorial region you are located, the more pronounced the change in daylight change is. Thus the rate of change and effects can be drastic in some parts of Alaska.

While the sun rises at 7:17 AM and sets at 4:32 PM in New York City on the winter solstice, in Anchorage the sun rises at 10:14 AM and sets at 3:42 PM. Further north in Fairbanks the sun rises at 10:59 AM and sets at 2:41 p.m on that day.

Here is a decent link with Max/Min daylight hours for a few locations in Alaska.

Alaska Travel, Jobs, Homes, Fishing, Hiking and more... | alaska.com

Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Thanks to everyone sorry I just find it interesting to learn about something that seems like another world. But in reality we are closer then one thinks

Thanks to all. I am sorry I find this to be interesting.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN BOY View Post
Thanks to everyone sorry I just find it interesting to learn about something that seems like another world. But in reality we are closer then one thinks

Thanks to all. I am sorry I find this to be interesting.
No need to apologize, we are happy to clear up misconceptions. At least you had the wisdom to question your perception. That is the way we learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage