Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,959 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are trying to move out to Seward to work at the Windsong Lodge for the season. My plans are to stay in Alaska while he is unsure if he'll move back or not. I would like information from some people who have done this move similarly like myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
Prepare for the culture and climate shock coming from Phoenix....

I just visited, but I did like Seward alot - granted it was the middle of summer and it was 'COLD' for us southerners out. And it will DAMP for you. Like really damp - it sorta misted the whole time we were in Seward. I liked it, but it isn't anything like phoenix, which for me was a good thing. I can't do the heat in Phoenix, even though it is a 'dry heat'. I have family in Mesa and have spent some time there.

FWIW, We wore light jackets all day long and had a fire at night to keep warm and this was at the end of June. We walked to exit glacier too.

Culture shock - Hard to describe, but its just different.

If your only work is a lodge for the 'season' have you thought about what you will do when the tourists leave and winter arrives?

Good luck and I hope you have fun either way. (whether you stay or go)

Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,620,450 times
As Dakster mentioned, the biggest question is housing & employment after the summer ends...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 AM

438 posts, read 660,997 times
Seward is a small town. Not very busy at all.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvick87 View Post
My brother and I are trying to move out to Seward to work at the Windsong Lodge for the season. My plans are to stay in Alaska while he is unsure if he'll move back or not. I would like information from some people who have done this move similarly like myself.
Neat town! You'll probably be unemployed after early September. Any idea how you'll live after that? Windsong probably provides employee housing for the season. What happens after that? Lots of decisions!!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Coming up as a seasonal isn't a half bad way to get a good start in Alaska. I've seen plenty of people who wanted to stay be able to find winter work and lodging. Of course, if a lot of people wanted to do it, it it wouldn't be possible for everyone.

To the OP: get to know the locals as much as you can, and make it clear that you're interested in spending the winter there. You did say that you are interesting in staying in Alaska and didn't specify Seward -- are you going to try to stay in Seward or go elsewhere in the state? You don't say much about what you're looking for or your skill set, but their is plenty of lodge-type work available in Girdwood for the winter.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,292,926 times
Yup, it pays to be extroverted in a small town. Who you know goes a long way. Summer's short - start asking around about winter/year-round jobs as soon as you get here. Do you have any skills that could help? I know people around here who get through the winter with substitute teaching and snow shoveling. I also know people who string together enough house-sitting jobs through the winter that they manage to not pay rent for several months a year.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
I can't believe I typed their when I should have typed there. Pffft.

Tigre ^^^ is right. You can also save your paychecks and rent an apartment in Anchorage where you might have an easier time finding winter work. There might even be a possibility you could stay on at Windsong; these corporate lodges sometimes keep a skeleton crew on for caretaking and basic maintenance. Caretaking at some of the smaller lodges around the state is a possibility too.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM

791 posts, read 1,155,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvick87 View Post
I have been four times to Alaska. I have been doing good online job applications from coolworks.com
Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage