Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 AM

49 posts, read 106,660 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Our plan before moving next year is to sell my 2wd F-150 and my wife's Honda Odyssey and then buy two new (used) vehicles there in Anchorage.

What is the car market like up there?

I have this image (admittedly based on nothing) that the vehicles on used car lots there are all beat up and variety is limited to mostly trucks and 4x4s.

Does being on the bay mean most vehicles there are rusty from sea/road salt or beat up from driving in poor conditions?

I'm a bit of a fanatic about keeping my vehicles nice and like to go to car rallies etc. Am I going to have to give all that up or is there enough people up there who like to keep their vehicles nice and customized?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Your imagination is off base, one can find any sort of year, make, model and condition of vehicle here with exception to something such as a 2wd truck, they are not common. There is a copius selection as well.

Rust is not an issue, at least not as what your imagination leads to think, particularly when compared to the upper midwest or the eastern seaboard. Salt, or Magnesium Chloride which is most often used here last I read, is not used very frequently, and when it is used it is primarily used at intersections. Sand and/or pea gravel is the traction aid of choice used by road crews.

Customizing is popular and there is a rally/race club or two as well as drag strips.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 AM

Thanks AK76! I appreciate the response. Again, I admit my assumptions where unfounded but that's why I posted them - I knew they were. I did actually find it hard to swallow that in a population of about 300k that there wouldn't be a car minded community albeit much smaller than here.
After more esearching which businesses are there and I see you pretty much have everything car-related there that is here.
I look forward to exploring it all!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I've washed my car twice in the past 6 months. As for your 2 wheel drive truck I drove one of those my first 3 years here. In the winter I changed over to studded snow tires and put 400 pounds of sand bag tubes in the back over the rear axles. You just have to think about where you are going and pay closer attention.

Check craigslist for used vehicles. Lots of them for sale. Your wife's Honda would do just fine. Add winter tires before the first snow and go, go, go!!

Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
used cars tend to be more expensive up here so it might be worth keeping what you've got.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 AM

It cost on average $1600 per vehicle to ship from Texas to Anchorage. That pretty much offsets much of the differences I can see in values.

I always thought it's best that I replace my 4x2 truck with a 4x4 but I'm starting to think that's only necessary up there for going off road. It's my work truck so it'll stay on pavement.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
If you've never driven in snow, you'll get to hating that 4x2 really quick in the winter, even with weight and studded tires. OTOH, since you'd be driving it more carefully, you'd be less likely to stuff it upside down in a ditch. Realistically, I once figured that there was maybe 20 days a year that you really would want 4WD and the rest of the year was fine, but on those days you would reallllly want it.

BTW, going off road is actually futile in most areas of southcentral. Most of the ORV trails are boggy and muddy, torn up by ATV's and not really worth the trouble.

Annnd, where did you get a quote of $1600 to ship a vehicle from Texas to Alaska? That sounds extremely low. I wanted to get my car shipped from AK to MI and my quote was $2400 from everybody, and shipping out is usually less expensive as the trucks are usually empty on the way out and would like to fill up the trailer.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
If you've never driven in snow, you'll get to hating that 4x2 really quick in the winter, even with weight and studded tires. OTOH, since you'd be driving it more carefully, you'd be less likely to stuff it upside down in a ditch. Realistically, I once figured that there was maybe 20 days a year that you really would want 4WD and the rest of the year was fine, but on those days you would reallllly want it.

BTW, going off road is actually futile in most areas of southcentral. Most of the ORV trails are boggy and muddy, torn up by ATV's and not really worth the trouble.

Annnd, where did you get a quote of $1600 to ship a vehicle from Texas to Alaska? That sounds extremely low. I wanted to get my car shipped from AK to MI and my quote was $2400 from everybody, and shipping out is usually less expensive as the trucks are usually empty on the way out and would like to fill up the trailer.
Here's the uShip site that gave me that quote: LINK.

I learned to drive in the snow up in Kansas... 20 years ago. I don't really do any off-roading but I do like camping, hiking, etc. and we plan on buying land out in middle of nowhere so at some point I'll need it. Still weighing options.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Drining in the snow is one thing, driving on ice covered roads for several consecutive months is another, toss in the inevitable warm/rain spells that lead to water on ice and you will curse thoroughly any decision to drive a 2wd. Couple that with the multitudes of other inexperienced winter weather drivers and it is downright ridiculous. I highly recommend a 4x4 for nothing else than having more capbility to avoid the stupid, inept and careless other drivers that are so commmon here, and to be able to get out of your driveway. Also, 6" of new snow will challenge a 2wd vehicle, a 4x4 will not hesitate. One foot of snow and you are stuck in your driveway with a 2wd.

The snow and ice does not leave the road surface after a day or two like many places south of Alaska, it remains on the road surface for weeks or months continuously. I promise you, Kansas winter driving is NOTHING compared to Alaska winter driving.

I suggest you plan for a 4x4/Awd. Having one more driver/vehicle on the roads that is ill suited for the conditions is a hazard for everyone on the road.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Drining in the snow is one thing, driving on ice covered roads for several consecutive months is another, toss in the inevitable warm/rain spells that lead to water on ice and you will curse thoroughly any decision to drive a 2wd. Couple that with the multitudes of other inexperienced winter weather drivers and it is downright ridiculous. I highly recommend a 4x4 for nothing else than having more capbility to avoid the stupid, inept and careless other drivers that are so commmon here, and to be able to get out of your driveway. Also, 6" of new snow will challenge a 2wd vehicle, a 4x4 will not hesitate. One foot of snow and you are stuck in your driveway with a 2wd.

The snow and ice does not leave the road surface after a day or two like many places south of Alaska, it remains on the road surface for weeks or months continuously. I promise you, Kansas winter driving is NOTHING compared to Alaska winter driving.

I suggest you plan for a 4x4/Awd. Having one more driver/vehicle on the roads that is ill suited for the conditions is a hazard for everyone on the road.
Believe me, I'm not thinking my Kansas City experience is comparable to Anchorage. I appreciate the reality check, though.

Also, the 4x4 issue is becoming much more clear to me. Looks like 4x4 is the way to go. These forums are such help. Now if I can just get someone to guarantee me that my business will thrive there, I'll start packing! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage