Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times

Advertisements

Wow, Glitch...what a great rundown...this WILL be more difficult for me because:

- LOVE rain...so maybe Juneau? But traveling isn't AS easy as other cities...but it sounds gorgeous. Love the green!
- I've seen more pictures of Anchorage...also gorgeous...but mostly, better job opportunities.
- Fairbanks IS indeed colder than the other places, but it just sounds smaller (great feature) and weirdly, as I've never been, magical.

I truly get why people have this crazy fascination...especially those of us who don't care for crowds! I saw a YouTube video the other day with a guy who took video of the mama bear and two baby bears fishing salmon on a river...can't remember where exactly. I would definitely take a Bear Class in addition to my Winter Driving Course!! LOVE animals. I wouldn't be into hunting because I just can't do it...BUT...I understand the why and have respect for hunters who respect those animals.

Guess I'm trying to say that the independent spirit, the culture of the people, the small communities and the great outdoors is more than I could ever want. But I won't lie...the cost of living there is a bit scary. I'm not too young anymore (although not old) and I have to have a plan in cement before I'd leap! I appreciate all the information you're sharing...I'll keep reading!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
I have a purebred Newfoundland and a Newfie/Malamute mix. They are both about 120 lbs and rug anchors when they are inside...very little activity from either.
Newfies are great dogs. I like dogs that can stand up and look you in the eye. Ankle-biters, not so much.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Get a great dane - how about one that can look you in the eye on all fours?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Wow, Glitch...what a great rundown...this WILL be more difficult for me because:

- LOVE rain...so maybe Juneau? But traveling isn't AS easy as other cities...but it sounds gorgeous. Love the green!
- I've seen more pictures of Anchorage...also gorgeous...but mostly, better job opportunities.
- Fairbanks IS indeed colder than the other places, but it just sounds smaller (great feature) and weirdly, as I've never been, magical.

I truly get why people have this crazy fascination...especially those of us who don't care for crowds! I saw a YouTube video the other day with a guy who took video of the mama bear and two baby bears fishing salmon on a river...can't remember where exactly. I would definitely take a Bear Class in addition to my Winter Driving Course!! LOVE animals. I wouldn't be into hunting because I just can't do it...BUT...I understand the why and have respect for hunters who respect those animals.

Guess I'm trying to say that the independent spirit, the culture of the people, the small communities and the great outdoors is more than I could ever want. But I won't lie...the cost of living there is a bit scary. I'm not too young anymore (although not old) and I have to have a plan in cement before I'd leap! I appreciate all the information you're sharing...I'll keep reading!!
You do not need a class on bears. Read up on them. Learn what they eat, their physical limitations, and their behavior. The most important thing to remember is to be alert when hiking through the woods (or even the greenbelts in Anchorage). Bearing maulings are typically the result of surprising the bear. Bears have terrible eye-sight, but a great sense of smell. If you unwittingly approach a bear from downwind, then it is very possible to get much closer than what the bear considers comfortable, and what you might consider safe.

I find that dogs help in such circumstances. Human senses are dull by comparison to most critters. We may have better vision, but that is about it. I hike with my dogs and I pay attention to their behavior. Between my eye-sight and their nose, I have never surprised a bear yet. There is also a lot of dog behavior in bears. Bears, like dogs, will often perform a "mock charge," or stand sideways to show you their size as a means of intimidation. Like other predators, bears also have a "chase instinct." If you run, it is in their nature to chase you, and they can run up to 30 mph.

Bears prefer to not have encounters with humans. So if you stand your ground, or back away very slowly, while talking calmly to the bear and showing them your arms so they can see you are two-legged critter, they are more likely to leave you alone. Assuming you did not surprise them in the first place. A surprised bear can be very unpredictable. Bears are also very curious critters, and are not beyond coming into a campsite to check out the food possibilities. If you are into camping, it would be a good idea to learn how to safely camp in bear country.

I am armed for bear, just in case, but in 23 years of hiking around south central Alaska I have not had the need to defend myself, and I hope that remains the case. I do hunt, but I always eat what I shoot, and I have no desire to eat bear.

Treat them with respect, and give them lots of space so they do not feel threatened, and you can have a very enjoyable bear encounter. I have lots of great footage of grizzlies and cubs on the north slope, filmed from half a mile away or more.

Moose, on the other hand, are much more unpredictable. With bears you can at least understand their behavior. Moose are just flat out crazy. They will attack without provocation. If you see one flatten its ears to the back of its head, and lower its head, then that would probably be a good time to leave, or at least put a large tree between you and the moose. Moose fear nothing, not even grizzly bears.

Moose, being herbivores and not predators, do not have a "chase instinct." So if you feel the need to run from a moose, do so. They are not going to chase you.

As to the cost of living in Alaska, as I like to say: The price of paradise does not come cheap.

Thankfully most jobs pay more than in the lower-48, or most of us would not be able to afford to live in Alaska either. Do not be too surprised when you are paying $4+ per gallon for gasoline.

Last edited by Glitch; 04-15-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
We had Great Danes growing up...they were all good natured pooches that would swipe mom's pot roast off the chopping block if she wasn't looking. Awesome!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Bear Class? Well maybe that was an exaggeration...I have profound respect for the animals. I would love to see them and take pictures but never would I try to overstep. I have heard of many of the suggestions you listed...putting into practice of course, is important. My husband would likely get a gun...he has some training. I'm not afraid of guns by any stretch but the blood and guts...well, I need to toughen up, that's for sure. Again, having respect goes a very long way whether you're human or animal, so that's what I'll stick to for sure.

I have heard that about moose...kinda funny but yea, whenever an animal flattens their ears, it's best not to engage!

Paradise...yep, not cheap...BUT...I'm not an expensive woman. I truly don't need much although my biggest luxury is probably running water and internet/cable. I don't think I could do the dry cabin thing...but I sooooo admire those who do.

I don't think I'd mind the higher gas prices because that's always fluctuating but I do think the regular things like milk and bananas might be a little shocking...I just don't know. For now, I will read everything I can, watch videos, documentaries...keep talking with you good folks...and then we'll see...I sometimes feel like a child on Christmas morning thinking about the possibilities.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I am 6' 7" tall. It would take a large dog indeed to look me in the eye while on all fours.

The truly sad thing about large dogs is that they tend to have short life-spans. Most mastiff breeds, Great Danes, Newfies, St. Bernards, etc., only live between 8 and 10 years.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Bear Class? Well maybe that was an exaggeration...I have profound respect for the animals. I would love to see them and take pictures but never would I try to overstep. I have heard of many of the suggestions you listed...putting into practice of course, is important. My husband would likely get a gun...he has some training. I'm not afraid of guns by any stretch but the blood and guts...well, I need to toughen up, that's for sure. Again, having respect goes a very long way whether you're human or animal, so that's what I'll stick to for sure.

I have heard that about moose...kinda funny but yea, whenever an animal flattens their ears, it's best not to engage!

Paradise...yep, not cheap...BUT...I'm not an expensive woman. I truly don't need much although my biggest luxury is probably running water and internet/cable. I don't think I could do the dry cabin thing...but I sooooo admire those who do.

I don't think I'd mind the higher gas prices because that's always fluctuating but I do think the regular things like milk and bananas might be a little shocking...I just don't know. For now, I will read everything I can, watch videos, documentaries...keep talking with you good folks...and then we'll see...I sometimes feel like a child on Christmas morning thinking about the possibilities.
It sounds to me like you are already good at reading the behavior of other critters. It is important have a certain level of empathy with other critters, it could save your life.

Most women, for some strange and completely unfathomable reason, seem to prefer indoor plumbing.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am 6' 7" tall. It would take a large dog indeed to look me in the eye while on all fours.

The truly sad thing about large dogs is that they tend to have short life-spans. Most mastiff breeds, Great Danes, Newfies, St. Bernards, etc., only live between 8 and 10 years.
Seeing as you are 6' 7", It would take a large dog - didn't realize you were in the top 3% of the population in terms of height.

And I agree about large dogs, my Saint lasted 14 years, the oldest the Vet's office ever had seen in their 40 years.

My Wife draws the line at requiring indoor plumbing too. I have sorta gotten used to it, so I can't say that I am against it.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Seeing as you are 6' 7", It would take a large dog - didn't realize you were in the top 3% of the population in terms of height.
I prefer to think of it as being "2 meters" tall.

Quote:
And I agree about large dogs, my Saint lasted 14 years, the oldest the Vet's office ever had seen in their 40 years.

My Wife draws the line at requiring indoor plumbing too. I have sorta gotten used to it, so I can't say that I am against it.
I have never owned a dog that died before the age of 13, but Buddy (my Boerboel) is the first mastiff breed I have owned. I am hoping he will make it to at least 13. He is 6 years old now.

Blizzard (my Alaskan Husky) should live to around 14 or 15 years. Since she is half Buddy's weight, I would not be surprised. Blizzard is currently 10 years old.

Women certainly do have some strange notions at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage