Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,870 times

Advertisements

There's dreaming and there's foolishness.

You see what the Alaskans are saying; I've seen bodies in the grass in winter right in Anchorage.

Rethink the winter part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,971 times
Thanks. But those people would still be alive if they kept moving and had gear

Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood8 View Post
Ok here it goes. I spent all of 2009. Traveling around the united states reaching 33 states on foot. Then i went and got my degree in environmental studies from nau. I have been livin a normal life ever since.work.house.girlfriend.i have decided to give up what i have. And buy a plane ticket to alaska in mid feb. It has been my dream to see your beautiful state and to start a life there free of the corruption of. Busy life. Where should i fly in to and which place would accept. A backpacker. Is there places to camp where i would not be bothered or be intruding on someones property. I will have my gear with me and a few hundred dollars..plz. help me. Journey to the north. Any ides would be more than appreciated
Alaska is not a "dream" nor is it is geographic solution to the problems of "corruption." Alaska is a real place occupied by real people living lives of various degrees of ordinariness. For all that Alaska is the "last frontier" and is full of rugged wilderness, this is modern times and every inch of the state is owned by someone - state, fed, private, corporate, tribe. In February in Alaska someone with a couple hundred bucks and some gear is not a "backpacker," they are homeless.

If you're dead set on doing the lonely wanderer thing, there are places in the US where the climate is less deadly, your cash will go farther, and there are more services for the itinerant, plus you'd have the money you'd have spent on the plane ticket. If you're dead set on Alaska, wait for the thaw, get yourself one of the fifty zillion summer jobs, many of which are in lovely places off the beaten trail, and use that as an opportunity to make connections and learn about the ways of living here.

I am sorry this is not romantic.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,491 times
you can only get so rural before you would be in serious trouble if you got injured or needed help in any way. Like someone else mentioned, why not just go to Montanta, Maine, Arizona, etc- if you want to be in the middle of nowhere yet still have a chance to survive on your own in an emergency

Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alaska is not a "dream" nor is it is geographic solution to the problems of "corruption." Alaska is a real place occupied by real people living lives of various degrees of ordinariness. For all that Alaska is the "last frontier" and is full of rugged wilderness, this is modern times and every inch of the state is owned by someone - state, fed, private, corporate, tribe. In February in Alaska someone with a couple hundred bucks and some gear is not a "backpacker," they are homeless.

If you're dead set on doing the lonely wanderer thing, there are places in the US where the climate is less deadly, your cash will go farther, and there are more services for the itinerant, plus you'd have the money you'd have spent on the plane ticket. If you're dead set on Alaska, wait for the thaw, get yourself one of the fifty zillion summer jobs, many of which are in lovely places off the beaten trail, and use that as an opportunity to make connections and learn about the ways of living here.

I am sorry this is not romantic.
And you, sir, get the award of the best post of the day!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,892 times
Quote:
It worked out well for Timothy Treadwell. I say go for it.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
Quote:
You are not from around here are ya!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM

941 posts, read 1,793,710 times
Talking Valueable use for such problems

What Alaska needs to do is get a large Federal Grant, open a large insane asylum for this kind of problem, find some psychiatrists who wish to research death wishes, and then have signs made up to distribute to every library and movie house in America that tell this kind of loonie where to go to in Alaska to be part of the research study.

At the University of Tennessee in Knoxville they have a study, which is well funded, that is somewhat similar to this. You can leave your body to the University and they have a fenced in plot of ground where they put the body and students watch it as it disinigrates and they write up the various parameters to get their advanced degrees. Law enforcement, in particular, use the results of the studies to determine cause of death, how long a body has been in a given type of location, and what types of critters show up to eat the body.

At the least this type of research would make good use of such loonies and perhaps the cause of the affliction could be determined. There would be no need for search and rescue trying to save someone like this from themselves and there would be some value to them after all the money that was expended to give them a free education which was wasted on such a loonie. I don't know if in your children's lifetimes if such a program would make a difference but at least you'd know there wasn't a bear out there who was well trained in eating humans waiting for his next meal to wander by.

Last edited by richelles; 02-01-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Watch the movie into the wild or read the book. I wonder if some of these posters have a death wish. Homeless people die up here regularly in the winter time.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:52 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
True that. There has already been a couple just around Anchorage this winter. And it's been like the warmest winter ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage