Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 150,296 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are bringing my parents to Alaska May 29th. I have one day with them in Anchorage! Please tell me the best way to spend the day.. what must they see or do? This will be their first impression of Alaska which will be great no matter what but any help is appreciated!! I hope it is starting to warm a little by then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,763,791 times
Default One day...

My brother came for one day. We went to Glen Alps to the overlook, saw moose. Drove down along Turnagain Arm, which is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, stopped to see the dall sheep & were lucky to time it just right to watch a bore tide ( there are bore tide charts, but we were just lucky) We had lunch at the bake shop at the top of Girdwood.

Earthquake Park is another great stop that we did another time my brother was here.

For dinner we had halibut at the White Spot.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks bongo!

Now is the Turnagain Arm on the way to Soldotna? We will be going there when leaving Anchorage. If we are on our way to Soldotna will we be able to stop at Girdwood or is it out of the way?

If so, are there any other suggestions for "The day in Anchorage"? Specialty shops, restaurants.. activities.. or viewing in/around Anchorage?

Thanks!!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,242,468 times
The Turnagain Arm is the ONLY way to Soldotna. Girdwood is 3-4 miles off the highway. Unless you want some gas station food.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,926 times
If they are up too it, and the weather is nice, take a ride along the Coastal Trail. That is always something fun to do. I like going to lake eklutna, and spending a day downtown especially near the Park Strip. I like heading to Goose Lake as well. Kinda peaceful (sometimes). Head to Resolution park downtown for amazing views of Mount Mckinley and Sleeping Lady. Bring your camera!!!

As for restaurants, I like eating at Humpy's. that's downtown. There's also Gwennies. The best place to eat in Alaska in my opinion. Great food!!!

I'm moving back to Anchorage in April and can't wait to experience everything again

Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 28,148 times
OK - those who know Anchorage will probably say this is the tourist way to do it but...
if I only had 24 hours to show someone Anchorage I would include the Native Heritage Center, lunch at Simon and Seaforts, Town Square for the flowers (they plant out Memorial Day weekend so the flowers will be freshly installed for your visit), Glen Alps (only if it's sunny) for the view, Point Woronzof (in any weather but fog), Westchester Lagoon for a taste of the trails, dinner at the Double Musky in Girdwood (they take no reservations but are worth the wait no matter the length) or dinner at Haute Quarter Grill in Eagle River (prime rib that makes me drool like Homer Simpson just thinking about it).
Other options if you have the time include the zoo to see the wolves, seals and bears. Be warned though - if you have a soft spot for damaged animals this place will make you sob for all the broken birds in their menagerie. Also, a tram ride to the top of the mountain in Girdwood on a sunny day is a "must" for any well seasoned traveler. If your parents want a little light adventure consider hiking down the mountain after the ride up.

If that hasn't filled your day then I'll have to start recommending the fishing and that's worth a whole other vacation in itself.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. My parents are in their early 70's but very spunky! We will be taking them fishing with a guide out of cook inlet in the days following. I feel very fortunate to still have both parents and am grateful that I will be able to enjoy them experience the beauty of Alaska. It makes me smile thinking about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 PM

21 posts, read 101,269 times
go for a drive. you could drive to homer and back. gotta be one of the most beautiful drives you could do, in the world. they can see the play or fancy buildings anywhere, go driving. going north is a great drive too, but you couldnt do it in one day. have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage