Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times

Advertisements

Just one word from your title only-DON'T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 39,297 times
I agree totally with Peester. GO FOR IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
You are never going to be 25 and single and have no kids and have $30,000 all at the same time again.
What you probably will have is a spouse and kids and a mortgage and a car payment and a job that you can't quit. I had the opportunity to do something similar a long time ago and chickened out. What's the worst that could happen? New Jersey will always be there.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Go for it.

You only live once.

Your actions, your consequences...whether good or bad. Nobody else is harmed, so I think yes.

At 48, my family and I just moved up here this year, and I am much happier for it.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 PM

45 posts, read 46,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm650 View Post
Hello. I am 25 and have about 30K in savings. I have no kids or any dependants. I had the opportunity to visit Alaska in November to interview with the Alaska Railroad. Unfortunately I wasn't selected. I fell in love with Alaska! It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and the people are incredibly friendly. I didn't want to go back home to New Jersey! I would like to move here, though I won't have a job lined up. I have savings, but that can go quickly with the high cost of living in Alaska. My family and friends are saying I would be very stupid if I do this. I sort of see their point, but NJ is so boring compared to Alaska. Do you think it's too risky to do this?
If you know what to do up-here so you don't spend any money on living expenses like housing, your money will go a long way. But first you got to make your mind why you wanna live up here and what kind of life to live. In NJ if and when you run out of money you end up a destitute, in Alaska your life becomes adventures. Are you an Adventurer by heart ? Or a job, house and family kind ?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Um, nope you end up destitute up here too and stand a good chance of freezing to death unless your some kind of survival master and don't mind poaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstepmike View Post
If you know what to do up-here so you don't spend any money on living expenses like housing, your money will go a long way. But first you got to make your mind why you wanna live up here and what kind of life to live. In NJ if and when you run out of money you end up a destitute, in Alaska your life becomes adventures. Are you an Adventurer by heart ? Or a job, house and family kind ?

Old 12-10-2015, 05:20 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
Have you considered (and is there room) at the local Anchorage hostel? A lot cheaper than an apartment. Without a spouse and carpet sharks in tow you're in a better postion to explore alternative (cheaper) housing.

Like others have said, you're never going to be free, young and obviously responsible enough to have saved up $30K again. That tells me you have a good shot at doing well in AK. Find a room, a roommate, take the best job you can find until something better comes along, and go for it Even a poor job will stretch out your savings.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Keep in mind he will need a reliable vehicle and a safe place to park it if he wants to do anything other than walk to work and go back to a hostel which I would not think would be very relaxing or secure for your stuff. If you have lap tops or anything else you will have to tote them around with you as they will get stolen in a hostel. Parking a half way decent car around a hostel its probably going to get broke into because you will be in an area with a high number of undesirables. Also as a young male I am sure he does not want to stay single forever so I could not imagine bringing a girl back to my hostel lol unless your game is legendary.

The winters here CAN get VERY cold, sometimes we have decent winters but even if its not brutally cold even a mild winter can be miserable for someone on foot taking buses.

In the next year the Alaska economy is about to be in the crapper so apartments might get really cheap.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
Okay, I normally say no to someone that posts a title like this but being single with some savings and hopefully skills you should be able to get on your feet. Find a house sharing arrangement, start with service jobs and you will be able to get a start. I moved up there sight unseen in the 70s with $2500, a converted bread truck camper and stayed for 35 years. I never regretted a single moment there. It's a great place to be young. I wish you luck.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Parking a half way decent car around a hostel its probably going to get broke into because you will be in an area with a high number of undesirables.
Downtown Anchorage isn't really as bad as many make it seem. I've never had anyone break into any of my vehicles in the last 5 years, and there are quite a few cheap hostels around here. I'd say it could be worth a try for a while to save money while looking for a job (and being able to afford more/better).

There are also corporate suites around town. A bit more per month, but way safer and better quality, and you're not locked into a long contract that might force you to go into default (if the OP can't find a job in time).

About 5 years ago I saw plenty of ads on Craigslist about people renting out rooms in their houses (I can't imagine that having changed). I'd say that is the best bet, if the OP makes sure to really check out the landlord first.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm650 View Post
Hello. I am 25 and have about 30K in savings. I have no kids or any dependants. I had the opportunity to visit Alaska in November to interview with the Alaska Railroad. Unfortunately I wasn't selected. I fell in love with Alaska! It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and the people are incredibly friendly. I didn't want to go back home to New Jersey! I would like to move here, though I won't have a job lined up. I have savings, but that can go quickly with the high cost of living in Alaska. My family and friends are saying I would be very stupid if I do this. I sort of see their point, but NJ is so boring compared to Alaska. Do you think it's too risky to do this?
Ordinarily I think it's a bad decision, but with good health, without dependents, and with that much savings, you're fine. Worst thing that can happen is you waste some money and time but have an adventure. As a back up plan, put enough of that money to get back "home" and live for a few months there in a separate savings account labeled DO NOT TOUCH: EMERGENCY EJECT ONLY. Then come on up.

Personally I'd time it for early spring, and try to have a summer tourism job lined up for when I arrived - they usually provide housing, and you can establish local work history, make some good contacts and references, and keep your savings mostly intact while you figure out what you want to do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: