Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 12,334 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Talkeetna area? We are contemplating retiring here a few years down the road with the dream of purchasing fifty plus acres. Would like to know the pros and cons, crime etc. We are laid back conservatives looking for peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas6451 View Post
We are laid back conservatives looking for peace and quiet.
First impression of the city with, or that had, a cat as a mayor...May want to look at a different town.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Talkeetna used to be quaint. It's now filled with tourists during the summer and the stores cater to tourism now. After most the tourists leave about 8am the locals come out, some head to the Fairview that hasn't changed much. It's usually where we end up if we're up that way. A much better vibe at night than during the day.

Trapper Creek might be a good area just north of Talkeetna. Still pretty laid back there.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
I have only been to talkeetna as a visitor. It has a pretty cool vibe to it, although literally bus loads of tourists on their way to denali get dropped off there every summer. All three times I was there it was teeming with people, but it most likely dies down ten fold (or more) in winter. There isn't really a whole lot there and 50 acres with road access, electricity, etc will probably set you back a pretty penny. You'll find peace and quiet there for sure. Maybe too much of it for your tastes. It's not exactly known as a full time retirement Mecca. Your closest medical facilities would be Palmer (1.5 +hours), then Anchorage(2+hours). There is a clinic is talkeetna but it is very small. Good luck to you.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM

15 posts, read 17,264 times
I was interested to see what Talkeetna was like, and also Trapper Creek when you mentioned it, because I am going to be a summer employee at Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. I don't know yet how much time and access I'll have to other places, but I'm still curious.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 PM

3,273 posts, read 3,936,892 times
Too many hippies, and too many tourists

Old 03-19-2015, 12:22 AM

134 posts, read 195,670 times
I've been in October. Love the part of a cat being mayor! Nice & quiet, but not much of a place for conservatives. Land is EXPENSIVE (relatively). There's a realtor that lives in the valley that can give you better ideas for your plans. Marty . . .

Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma4mom5 View Post
I've been in October. Love the part of a cat being mayor! Nice & quiet, but not much of a place for conservatives. Land is EXPENSIVE (relatively). There's a realtor that lives in the valley that can give you better ideas for your plans. Marty . . .
I was thinking it may not be the best place for conservatives.

I honestly think the cat as a mayor is pretty awesome. Probably gets as much done as a human politician.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
No way that gets as much done as Human politician. It has to get WAY more done....

Old 03-21-2015, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 12,334 times
The cat being Mayor is great, probably the best choice. We are on the Central Coast in Calif and are used to hippies and tourists. We live close to the ocean and have been here 52 yrs (born here) and ready for change. More than enough equity in the house for cash purchase and have commercial rentals for retirement. If we get snowed in for a few months all the better since we don't need to leave. We have time until our son graduates then will make the move. So we can research and plan accordingly. We enjoy these forums and appreciate the help and knowledge from those of you lucky enough to live in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage