Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Follow our dreams or stay with what's comfortable?
Do it! Go to Alaska for an awesome adventure, you'll love it. 31 67.39%
Don't do it! Stay home because you will die here. 15 32.61%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 14,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererGirl View Post
OP here. Just chiming in to let you know we decided to stay in Colorado. We loved the Alaska landscape so much and we all had an amazing time on our trip. But ultimately we decided to stay here because Colorado’s economy is amazing and we simply won’t make any money on real estate in Alaska. We are at an age that we need our retirement to grow and are depending on real estate investments to help that. We have 10%+ yearly appreciation at home. While visiting we also became concerned that there may actually be a bit of discrimination against out of towners in terms of employment. And our kids had a ton of anxiety about the possibility of moving anywhere so for now we are going to allow them to have that stability of being raised in one place and the hubby and I will revisit the idea when they are older.

We are the opposite. Both my wife and I would make more $ in Alaska than Denver. I think we may be the exception lol. My wife is s teacher and teacher pay in Colorado sucks compared to cost of living. Colorado is like 47th. The per student funding is generally bad here also, actually, which I don't think most people would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I'd choose Wrangell over Petersburg, unless you are a commercial fisherman, then Petersburg. However, you better like rain if you move to either.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well.

And I love rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 918x361x303 View Post
We are the opposite. Both my wife and I would make more $ in Alaska than Denver. I think we may be the exception lol. My wife is s teacher and teacher pay in Colorado sucks compared to cost of living. Colorado is like 47th. The per student funding is generally bad here also, actually, which I don't think most people would expect.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well.

And I love rain.
South east school districts don’t pay that well.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:25 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Oh please. None of our cars have been stolen.
Yet.....

Anchorage was #2, per capita, in car thefts last year in in the USA.

https://www.securitymagazine.com/art...ar-theft-rates

More winning. And 2018 is gonna be worse then last year.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...eting-in-2018/

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/An...467956973.html

Last edited by stiffnecked; 10-17-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
South east school districts don’t pay that well.

I've checked into it. It's 10K more than she makes here and the cost of living is less. For me it's also 10K more and many more opportunities for advancement in Alaska as well.

Housing costs in Denver are astronomical. 229% the national average according to this site and I think that's low. You're not finding anything decent or (if you're lucky) on the low end of good for less than 500K and we'll also have a substantial savings on health insurance as well. We're paying astronomically for that as well.

Everything I've seen says health care is more in Alaska but unless that's traveling from Wrangell to Anchorage unexpectedly or something unforseen it won't be for us. We pay out the ass monthly. Every school district that I've checked there is way less.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
So is money your main motivator for wanting to move to Alaska?

Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So is money your main motivator for wanting to move to Alaska?

Yes in the sense of a better standard of living for our family but it's about the full spectrum of things in Alaska that would make for a better standard of living.

More money plus a less expensive fost of living enables us to provide a better life for our children. It's not about continually striving for the next promotion and always wanting more and more money if that's the impression you may have. It's about setting up somewhere where we have room to breathe - for the long haul.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 PM

There is no way I would raise a child in Southeast Alaska, with the exception of Juneau and Haines, maybe Sitka. No. Way. And I'm from there and know the region well.

Feel free to get back to me about the "healthcare" there when it's 4 a.m. and you've got a kid who can't breathe and there's a recording on the other end of 911 and no one at the only clinic even though it's supposed to be staffed 24/7.

The quality of medical care is substandard throughout the state; I guess you can decide if the savings are worth it.

Homes may be cheaper in SE than in CO -- but they also fall apart much faster. Nothing lasts in a temperate rainforest, and you're always making repairs/renovations.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-17-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There is no way I would raise a child in Southeast Alaska, with the exception of Juneau and Haines, maybe Sitka. No. Way. And I'm from there and know the region really, really well.

Feel free to get back to me about the "healthcare" there when it's 4 a.m. and you've got a kid who can't breathe and there's a recording on the other end of 911.

That's news to me. You're the first person I've seen say that anywhere. How long ago was this?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
That's news to me. You're the first person I've seen say that anywhere. How long ago was this?
Pretty sure it was the winter of 2007. Things haven't improved any since.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-17-2018 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
I've checked into it. It's 10K more than she makes here and the cost of living is less. For me it's also 10K more and many more opportunities for advancement in Alaska as well.

Housing costs in Denver are astronomical. 229% the national average according to this site and I think that's low. You're not finding anything decent or (if you're lucky) on the low end of good for less than 500K and we'll also have a substantial savings on health insurance as well. We're paying astronomically for that as well.

Everything I've seen says health care is more in Alaska but unless that's traveling from Wrangell to Anchorage unexpectedly or something unforseen it won't be for us. We pay out the ass monthly. Every school district that I've checked there is way less.
First off. Colorado is going to have much better health care than anywhere in Alaska. The more remote it is, the worse they quality is IMO. I’ve not been in the southeast and I’d love to visit. I’m a teacher in the state and the pay in the SE districts isn’t enough.

Make sure you read the NA for the district. Some districts allow up to 8 years experience and some only allow 3. The pay is higher typically than down south but the increase in cost to get anywhere as well as utilities and food eat that extra income up fairly quickly. How large is your family? We spent $6k a year in plane tickets and that was for one trip out per year.

Our insurance sucked and each school district is different though. Housing quality won’t be near what you are used too.

Also, the quality of education won’t quite be the same. Neither will sports or other extra curricular activities.
I recommend doing some more research and if you questions about the schools, please PM me. I’ll give the whole picture as it pertains to Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage