Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some sleeping tips, I have blackout curtains, I’m taking a sleep aid (just started)but don’t want to do it long term. My body just knows there’s daylight and I can’t seem to regulate my sleep. I have been here for about 3 weeks. I’ve been getting 3-6 hours, though I’m still getting out there hiking and such and I love the long days. I’m new here to the forum and the state just wanted to know if others who migrated here had a hard time getting their sleeping hours in and how you adjusted. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Is this sleep problem something new only since being in Alaska? The reason I am asking is because a while back I watched a video in which a doctor stated that even a pin point of light in a room can stimulate the area of the brain which can cause insomnia. Such as a light from an electronic device, clock, phone, power cord with the power surge protector light on it. I notice that if any of that is in the room, I wake up thinking it's time to get up. Once I realize that it isn't, I am wide awake.

Hope you find some answers.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Light and noises at night never bothered me before, but they started to this summer. I live near some dog yards, so noise at night is sometimes a thing in my neck of the woods. I had to get some curtains and a white noise machine. I was surprised at how much the white noise machine helped.

https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Classi.../dp/B000KUHFGM

Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
First off: welcome to Alaska!
I have an eye mask that I really like that helps me in the summer. Its comfortable and blocks out all light. I got it at Brookstone. They don't have my exact one anymore, but it's very similar to this: https://www.brookstone.com/pd/nap-pl...k/644542p.html

Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd188 View Post
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some sleeping tips, I have blackout curtains, I’m taking a sleep aid (just started)but don’t want to do it long term. My body just knows there’s daylight and I can’t seem to regulate my sleep. I have been here for about 3 weeks. I’ve been getting 3-6 hours, though I’m still getting out there hiking and such and I love the long days. I’m new here to the forum and the state just wanted to know if others who migrated here had a hard time getting their sleeping hours in and how you adjusted. Thanks!!
If you've only been here 3 weeks that's part of it. You arrived in "summer" when the difference in daylength is more significant compared to wherever you were before...assume it was the south 48 right? I find it makes a big difference what I do BEFORE going to bed the evening before. In summer, my tendency is to finish the day's activities, eat too late, watch movies/tv/news, whatever it is too long (because it's still light!), and end up staying up much later than I would the rest of the year. By the time I do try to sleep it's already getting light again. I have to make myself start the typical evening routines at the same time I would for a more normal day-night cycle. There are lots of subtle metabolic ways you prepare the body for sleep. You need to keep convincing yourself that despite the light it IS time to sleep.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,131 times
@4dognight yes, i typically have no issues w sleep, just here, you are correct @parnassia it is the long days, once I started loosing track, I started setting my alarms to remind me to wind down. Also don’t start work until aug 15 so I’m thinking that will help getting me on track! Glad to know 3 weeks is contributing to it I was starting to freak out a bit! @Akstafford and @riceme those a good one I’ll def try the eyemask and white noise!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:49 PM

Parnassia makes good points, and it reminds me to mention that it would be good if you could make it dark (or dark-ish) by shutting some curtains a couple hours before you try to go to sleep. It'll help signal to your body that it's time to wind-down, and hopefully will help you be able to get a good night's rest.

I do the same things Parnassia mentions. In the summer I often find myself weed whacking at 1AM or out on the river at midnight. Time has a way of getting away from you, and like the saying "I'll sleep when I'm dead!" I often think to myself, "I'll sleep when it's winter!" haha

I hope you can get some sleep. Let us know how you do.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:32 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
For my first two years in Alaska I put foil over the bedroom windows. Got used to it after that but still had good blinds to block most of it.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Don't try to fight it. Just stay up late, sleep less and drink some coffee in the morning. The endless sunlight is the best part and it will be dark soon enough.

I run pretty good on 5-6 hours of sleep in the summer time. On the off chance I do need some extra sleep, sipping down a few Alaskan craft beers and a joint of legal Alaskan grown cannabis works wonders for me.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 AM

Aaaaannnnnd I just got off the river - timestamp 10:45PM on a Tuesday night. Have to be to work at 7 in the morning. I will be tired.

After thinking about it, I do sort of agree with 6.7... a little more than half of the days of the week during summer I stay up way too late doing summer stuff. The other days I get a good night's sleep. It sort of balances out, and like I said earlier... I'll sleep when it's winter. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: