Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
The old Glenn takes off just before the Knik river which is after Eklutna. It is quite a ways from Eagle river or Peters creek to Eklutna.
Look at a Milepost or map and you will see. Only 19 miles It is 12 miles from Eagle river to Eklutna and 4.4 more before you get to the old Glenn.
While it's true you can't take the Old Glenn all the way from Eagle River to Palmer, you can take it from Eagle River to Peters Creek before you have to get on the Glenn. Then you can get back off the Glenn as you said just after Eklutna. More than once that stretch from Eagle River to Peters Creek saved me from sitting in backed up traffic on the Glenn caused by an accident or road construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:02 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
While it's true you can't take the Old Glenn all the way from Eagle River to Palmer, you can take it from Eagle River to Peters Creek before you have to get on the Glenn. Then you can get back off the Glenn as you said just after Eklutna. More than once that stretch from Eagle River to Peters Creek saved me from sitting in backed up traffic on the Glenn caused by an accident or road construction.
I know that is what my daugher is looking forward too. From Anchorage to Eagle River you are stuck. At least she does have an alternative when it backs up. We enjoyed driving on the Old Glenn too. I am big on back roads.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
My advice would be to start out renting in Eagle River, and figure out whether that commute to Anc makes you nuts. If it doesn't, and you think you can manage a longer drive, then consider property around Palmer. Eagle River is nice, and you might be able to find the setup your looking for around there, but Palmer sounds more like the niche you're envisioning...only downside is that drive. The problem isn't really the length of the commute, as much as the unpredictability of how long it'll take on any given day. It also feels a lot longer and more tiring on short, dreary winter days, especially when the roads are slimy so you have to concentrate the whole time.

Eagle River is part of the Anchorage School District, I believe. ASD has more money and resources than any other district in the state, and has some shelter from the state's current education budget woes, as it has substantial local funding (as opposed to typical rural districts, which depend mostly on the state for funding). The schools themselves are a bit hit and miss - you'll want to look at individual schools and programs, rather than judging the district as a whole. There are quite a few options.

Last edited by Frostnip; 04-08-2019 at 11:17 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 06:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
Since it appears the OP is gone and my husband and I would be in a similar situation barring income and number of kids, and we’re in Minnesota, I’ll post here.

I have a few questions; I’m going to school to be a psychiatric mental health Nurse practitioner (I have two of four years left)- what’s the job market like? It looks good from postings and the job in general is pretty much needed everywhere but wondering if anyone has info that the outsider might not be aware of. Husband is in technology (has his masters in management information systems/ works in Financial Tech (with banks). How would he fare?

How friendly is Alaska to entrepreneurs? We intend to open up a practice for my line of work in 5-10 years.

How are the schools? Being in Minnesota we are fortunate to have top notch public schools so wondering how Anchorage area compares. We are open to private too.

How are schools socially? Fights? Drugs? Suicides?

I see, crime is through the roof. What’s being done about this? How is the police department in the area?

How well are public funds managed? In other words is quality of life okay? Well-maintained parks, libraries, roads, law enforcement?

Old 11-12-2019, 03:10 PM

92 posts, read 94,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
" Although now that she has been at her job 2 years her contract is up and she might look for a job in Palmer because there is more then 1 road from there to Eagle River."

Wrong! only one unless you count the railroad.
He may be talking about the Old Glenn and the (new) Glen

Old 11-13-2019, 03:18 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braje View Post
He may be talking about the Old Glenn and the (new) Glen
Correct, but they dont care about facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage