Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 26,913 times

Advertisements

Currently, my fiance and I live near Madison, Wisconsin. Prior to that, we lived in Phoenix, Arizona. We are now seriously looking at a more permanent move to Anchorage.

Currently, I am a project manager in the construction trades. However, as the industry is cyclical and I know a plateau and possible downward trend is coming, I am looking to change career fields at 40 years of age. I have dabbled with web development for a few years, but nothing too serious. Now, looking at where I am career wise and where I could be, I am excited about the possibilities should I pursue the web development/software engineering path.

We were looking at the Wasilla area and I would have no issue with the daily drive to Anchorage. The question then is, what does the web development/software engineering filed look like in Anchorage? Are there decent job prospects? Jobs plentiful? Etc., etc., etc.

Also, my fiance is currently VP of her company but she is looking to do something more as well. Once relocated, she is seriously considering getting another degree in Nursing. It seems as though this is a very large field with plenty of opportunities in Anchorage. Correct?

Any insight and words you all may have is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Have you ever been to Wasilla?

If your wife wants to go into nursing she should consider doing her re-education before leaving WI rather than after coming here. The UW system is a lot stronger the the UA system and there you'd be paying in-state tuition right from the jump there. And yes, there are lots of nursing jobs here. The competition for those jobs is gonna be much steeper in the Anchorage area than in more remote postings, though.

My feeling is that you'd honestly probably have better luck landing a living-wage job in the construction trades than as a programmer in the Anch area, especially as you're experienced at one and new at the other. Plenty of companies here need on-site techies for networking and the like, but programming and web development is more easily outsourced to places where workers are cheaper and more copious. I can't back that with numbers, though.

Last edited by Frostnip; 05-03-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I'd agree with Frostnip. Make the move(s) to the new professions before moving up here. You'll probably have a lot more opportunities and it will probably cost you a lot less to make the transition down south. If either don't turn out as you'd hoped, you won't be stuck in a high COL location you don't like or face a very expensive move back. Once you've shifted, search for specific positions in those fields up here and move for them.

As for software and web engineering couldn't say. It might be worth looking for opportunities that apply that sort of innovation with the petroleum and resource extraction/construction industries down south and relocate to those firms that operate in AK. When I think of AK I don't think of it being a hub of information age design.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-03-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 11:25 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Our granddaughter recently graduated from the UAA nursing program. It can take years just to get into the program.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
My daughter was a nurse in Wisconsin. Two years ago they moved to Alaska. She had multiple offers and they paid for the entire move for her and her family.
Get your degree first and then look for a job. Often with nursing they want experience nurses too.
On a side note, they love Alaska and everything about it. The kids (4 total) have adjusted well. Her husband is not working but has a nice little side business making furniture.
They are coming back to Wisconsin for the 1st time for a visit in June, we are looking forward to seeing them.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 26,913 times
Love all the replies and I appreciate them.

We have been to the area and love it. We are both outdoors people as well. As a fly fisherman, hunter, mountain biker, photographer, etc., I can not think of a better place to be. Add to that, my interest in general aviation, its about perfect. The better half was there twice last year and I've never seen the look in her eyes as when she talks about it. She loves it.

Now, will it happen.......

Old 06-14-2019, 12:22 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Good luck with your relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: