Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 PM

37 posts, read 34,439 times

Advertisements

I got a car at a reasonable price (hopefully the insurance will be as good as the price).

Now I made a list of the places that I can see/do during the four days of my visit to Anchorage and nearby, by car. Please share any suggestions.

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Seward: Portage, Mose Pass, Crown Point, Prime Rose, Bear Creek (all on the way to Seward).

Kenai Fjords National Park

Turnagain Arm Estuary (Will I be able to see Bald Eagles there?)

Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, Bird Point, Beluga Point

Chugach National Forest

Cook Inlet

Chugach State Park

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

Lake Eklutna

Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary

Earthquake Park

Willawaw Nature Trail

Big Game Alaska

Russian Jack Springs

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Gold Panning Tour

Kincaid Park

Sled Dog Tour

Now:

Any chance to see polar bears?

Best breakfast places?

I will see Bears in Alaska Wildlife Conservation Tour! Any other places to see bears within the limit of Anchorage/ any other animals that I must see? Bears and bald eagles are the two most that I want to see.

Are there stores that sell very finely made bears statutes? (small and regular as souvenirs).

Any special signs to take pics with (like welcome to Alaska sign?, you know you only got to see Alaska once if you do not live there)!

Local food that I must try?

Other things that I must do/see/try?

Won't able to do Katmai because of the expensive price, won't do Denali because I do not want to drive there, I do not want to take the bus either because I do not want to sleep at Denali...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 12:41 AM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paumona View Post
I got a car at a reasonable price (hopefully the insurance will be as good as the price).

Now I made a list of the places that I can see/do during the four days of my visit to Anchorage and nearby, by car. Please share any suggestions.

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Seward: Portage, Mose Pass, Crown Point, Prime Rose, Bear Creek (all on the way to Seward).

Kenai Fjords National Park

Turnagain Arm Estuary (Will I be able to see Bald Eagles there?)

Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, Bird Point, Beluga Point

Chugach National Forest

Cook Inlet

Chugach State Park

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

Lake Eklutna

Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary

Earthquake Park

Willawaw Nature Trail

Big Game Alaska

Russian Jack Springs

Alaska Native Heritage Center

Gold Panning Tour

Kincaid Park

Sled Dog Tour

Now:

Any chance to see polar bears?

Best breakfast places?

I will see Bears in Alaska Wildlife Conservation Tour! Any other places to see bears within the limit of Anchorage/ any other animals that I must see? Bears and bald eagles are the two most that I want to see.

Are there stores that sell very finely made bears statutes? (small and regular as souvenirs).

Any special signs to take pics with (like welcome to Alaska sign?, you know you only got to see Alaska once if you do not live there)!

Other things that I must do/see/try?

Won't able to do Katmai because of the expensive price, won't do Denali because I do not want to drive there, I do not want to take the bus either because I do not want to sleep at Denali...

You'll be very lucky to do all this in 4 days. You will have good chances to see bald eagles at many of the sites you listed. The only polar bear you'll see might be in a zoo. They don't range anywhere near Anchorage! You may find nicely carved bears (soapstone, walrus ivory, and moose or caribou antler) at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, but there are quite a few gift shops in downtown Anchorage. (check your country import regulations for bringing ivory back...it is strictly regulated internationally, but many countries permit small carvings purchased legally). One shop I find has a good selection of all sorts of handicrafts with a large range of prices is the Alaska Fur Exchange at the intersection of Old Seward Highway and Tudor Road. They have a lot of touristy stuff but also nice work as well.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,871,666 times
I mean, it's urban Alaska, but it's still Alaska. You might see a brown or black bear in your front yard. But realistically, by sticking around town and heavily used areas like you are, you're not maximizing your chances.

Polar bears only live in the arctic in coastal areas.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You'll be very lucky to do all this in 4 days. You will have good chances to see bald eagles at many of the sites you listed. The only polar bear you'll see might be in a zoo. They don't range anywhere near Anchorage! You may find nicely carved bears (soapstone, walrus ivory, and moose or caribou antler) at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, but there are quite a few gift shops in downtown Anchorage. (check your country import regulations for bringing ivory back...it is strictly regulated internationally, but many countries permit small carvings purchased legally). One shop I find has a good selection of all sorts of handicrafts with a large range of prices is the Alaska Fur Exchange at the intersection of Old Seward Highway and Tudor Road. They have a lot of touristy stuff but also nice work as well.
Thank you. This is the list, I probably going to do 80%-85% of it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I mean, it's urban Alaska, but it's still Alaska. You might see a brown or black bear in your front yard. But realistically, by sticking around town and heavily used areas like you are, you're not maximizing your chances.

Polar bears only live in the arctic in coastal areas.
Thanks. But I am also going to take the road to Seward... I think I have a good chance...

I am seeing bears at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 PM

I think the weather is getting better now in Anchorage. Thanks all for the good suggestions

Old 07-06-2019, 08:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Quote:

See attachment for a sign I got a kick out of. Hint - bring insect repellent.

I liked the reindeer hot dog street food in Anchorage. Also, the fish (Salmon and Halibut) was excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchorage Trip this Monday! Suggestions Please ASAP!-20190621_070854.jpg  

Old 07-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
See attachment for a sign I got a kick out of. Hint - bring insect repellent.

I liked the reindeer hot dog street food in Anchorage. Also, the fish (Salmon and Halibut) was excellent.
Thanks. As for the signs, I meant signs with ALASKA written on it

Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 PM

My trip is going to be on Sat. 7/20.

Do you think the weather is going to be clean in Anchorage and its surroundings? I see that there are chances for rain next week, will that help reduce the smoke? My ticket is not refundable, I have no other choice.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,597,647 times
Quote:
My trip is going to be on Sat. 7/20.

Do you think the weather is going to be clean in Anchorage and its surroundings? I see that there are chances for rain next week, will that help reduce the smoke? My ticket is not refundable, I have no other choice.
Just bring a gas mask and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage