Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM

41 posts, read 163,283 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from Oklahoma City to Anchorage at the end of May. We only have enough stuff to maybe fit in a 4x8 trailer. However, we have 2 kids and a dog. We are planning on driving, I hear it is a beautiful drive. Anyway does anyone know of a shipping company who would ship our stuff from here to Anchorage? We just can't tow another trailer. Or maybe a moving company. I am looking for the least expensive route, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
There are companies that will deliver to barge companies that ship out twice a week to Anchorage. Pacific Alaska Forwarders or Samson Tug and Barge come out of Seattle/Tacoma. You might check with them.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
One possibility is to crate or put on pallets, hire a trucking company to take it to a barge company in Washington and then barge it up. Alaska Marine Lines and Northland Services are 2 barge companies servicing Alaska. You should be able to find a trucking firm that goes to Washington in your area.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,977 times
when working in Skagway summer 2007. house hold goods took about three weeks from Florida UPS Shipping. it was a long time for shipping 35 pounds of stuff. computer electronics hard drives. yes indeed.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving

It maybe cheaper to rent a small UHaul truck and drive it to Seattle yourself. Then you can deliver it straight to the barge lines.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 120,933 times
I moved from OKC in December 2007 and used Emrick's who is the OKC branch of Allied. It cost $7,000 to pack and ship a 1 bedroom house, no appliances. But nothing was broken, they did a good job.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 PM

41 posts, read 163,283 times
I want to start talking to moving companies about quotes and whatnot but I have no address in Anchorage yet.

groovya- wen you moved up here did you rent site on scene (you paid before you saw it) or waited until you got there? That is another thing I am thinking about. I still have about 12 weeks but I am a planner. I like to have things in order.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovya View Post
I moved from OKC in December 2007 and used Emrick's who is the OKC branch of Allied. It cost $7,000 to pack and ship a 1 bedroom house, no appliances. But nothing was broken, they did a good job.
It would be cheaper to rent a small Uhaul, pack your own stuff and put it on a barge in Seattle. Check with some of the barge lines in Seattle and see what they are charging. I don't know who much stuff you have but if it's only a few pallet loads I bet you'll come out cheaper.

We moved twice from Oklahoma to Anchorage and then again to Ketchikan. Since I had to pay for the move myself I never would have thought of using a moving company.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM

28 posts, read 120,933 times
Sorry it took so long for my response. I am a planner too, but rentals go really fast on craigslist up here. Lucky for us, my company paid all the moving expenses, shipped our cars, airfare and 2 weeks hotel with rental car. I was required to get 3 quotes from moving companies. The quotes were free and didn't take up much of my time. We found a place to rent in 3 days of moving here. We just drove around all that first weekend getting familiar with Anchorage and from this forum before we got here I knew the neighborhoods to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage