Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM

19 posts, read 74,339 times

Advertisements

I may be accepted for a job in Anchorage.Im originaly from Texas. But live in Georgia now. I know a bit about living in Alaska, I spent a week in Anchorage on vacation during the summer a couple years ago. The Salmon fishing was AWESOME. The summer there is amazing. Alot cooler than the 110'F we have here now!

Im trying to get an idea on day to day living. My questions are these.

*Is housing affordable? Im a bit of a country boy and am not too fond of living in the city. Are the homes outside of town decent, and priced to where someone pulling about 50K a year could make it? My salary goes up with time (duhh), but the base is about 50k when I get there.

*Are there decent homes, or Apartments for RENT in good areas IN TOWN if I had too?
*Average cost of rent?

Im single, 21 years old and dont need much space.
I just want a safe area because I read that burglaries and thefts are higher there per population compared to other cities in the US there. Im not too worried about that, Ive got the old trusty .45 1911. But Id like to know.

*How expensive/inexpensive are the food costs? I remember some things being more costly when I was there.

*Can I bring my AK47 and AR15? (so called assault weapons?) Im sure I could figure that out online also, but I thought Id hear it from some Alaskan folk themselves. Hopefully Ill find some more avid shooters! (I know for sure I cant drive through Canada with those)

*How is Law Enforcement viewed in the eyes of the locals?
Ive lived in some areas where people would vandalize your home, truck, kill your dogs, and all kinds of crazy things because you are Law Enforcement.

And another sort of, random, typical guy thing to ask.... Women. Most women I met when we went were married. Even the younger women around my age. I think I met ONE single girl there. Might I add there were some beautiful women there!

Just to add, my short time in Alaska is one of my most fond memories. Ive traveled to Europe, South America and many other places, but Id go back to Alaska over those others anyday. Thanks for your info and the time you took to read my rambling!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Oh and I know about the VERY cold winters. -30 at times? Sounds fun haha

Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
You'll get a lot more responses if you post this in the Alaska forum. Be prepared for the regulars to get off topic and start their own conversation in your thread though. No joke lol.

50k is enough to live happily, especially if you are single.

South Anchorage is really nice, you won't have any sleepless nights worrying about crime.

Check rent on craigslist.com

Don't know about the gun issue.

Food costs are a lot more expensive here...so are gas prices.

You don't have to worry about officers killing your dogs, but Alaska has some overly strict laws on fishing, drinking and driving. One of my friends was given her second DUI for being caught drinking with her car keys in her hand. She wasn't even near her car, couldn't even see her car from where she was. Not a warning, not a citation, but charged with a DUI. She now is going to spend 3 months in a working prison. Just an example.

I noticed the same thing about women here. I'm 21 and it seems everyone is married. It's like the rule of law to get married by the time you turn 23 lol. It's especially bad in the valley (Wasilla area). Anchorage isn't nearly as bad.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM

You don't have to worry about officers killing your dogs, but Alaska has some overly strict laws on fishing, drinking and driving.

lol I meant do the civilians hate the police. Not if the police were corrupt.
But thanks. I was just asking because when I was in Houston some wanna be thugs thought it would be funny too tie a rope around my two yellow lab puppies necks and string them up on my fence to die. Which they did. They also spray painted "f*** you pig" on my house.
Its weird those guys both died in a car crash, their brakes didnt work and they drove through an onramp block.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
[quote=Jonotastic;9490580 Be prepared for the regulars to get off topic and start their own conversation in your thread though. [/quote]
Well, what can i say, we're just a "social bunch"

Probably best to search the old threads here - many folks struggle with the same things........where best to live, how to survive, how it impacts you at the market.

I'd say rent averages 900-1400/mo depending on what you're expectations and needs are. Ultimately, rent is cheaper the further away from Anchorage you get. Depends on where you want to live ......and don't know if you're required to live a certain distance from work.

Food wise - hubby and I do eat a little differently. There's ways to cut costs. We've learned to be prudent in all things financial here........you get a certain respect for what it takes for an "item" to get here. EX - deli sliced ham here is about 7- 10$ a lb......or I buy a spiral sliced ham for 2.50 a lb and freeze it in packages. Sam's club and Costco are popular, too.
The point of saving the money is so you have funds to go play on your days off Good luck and please keep us posted! We hear from a lot of folks and then never hear the "end of the story"......

Old 06-27-2009, 10:44 PM

Oh goody you have a Sams club and a Costo in Anchorage? Love those places. And I hear ya on the driving really far and hard just for a trip to a store.
I lived about an hour from the nearest movie theater, and 45 minutes from a grocery store in Texas. But Im sure depending where you are, and what season it is in Alaska its alot harder than that.

I think I may just find an apartment, probably furnished at first. Sounds alot easier until I adapt to the lifestyle. Im looking foreward to getting this job. I sure hope I do.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,823 times
Well live here in alaska. The weather is okay and the everything else is allright. Rent for a apartment that is REALLY REALLY nice out in wasilla is about 700-800 a month. and they are nice new apartments and there everywhere. There is alot of people that like cops and they like them because they dont get in trouble. usually the only ones to REALLY hate cops are the ones who get into trouble. hmmm Most women are single you just must have been lookin in the wrong spot haha in wasillla there is lots of single girls. You can bring your guns just make sure you have a permit or whatever saying you can Have those guns. and anything else you need to know just askkk.
-Ariel-From wasilla AK

Old 06-27-2009, 11:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You'll get a lot more responses if you post this in the Alaska forum. Be prepared for the regulars to get off topic and start their own conversation in your thread though. No joke lol.

50k is enough to live happily, especially if you are single.

South Anchorage is really nice, you won't have any sleepless nights worrying about crime.

Check rent on craigslist.com

Don't know about the gun issue.

Food costs are a lot more expensive here...so are gas prices.

You don't have to worry about officers killing your dogs, but Alaska has some overly strict laws on fishing, drinking and driving. One of my friends was given her second DUI for being caught drinking with her car keys in her hand. She wasn't even near her car, couldn't even see her car from where she was. Not a warning, not a citation, but charged with a DUI. She now is going to spend 3 months in a working prison. Just an example.

I noticed the same thing about women here. I'm 21 and it seems everyone is married. It's like the rule of law to get married by the time you turn 23 lol. It's especially bad in the valley (Wasilla area). Anchorage isn't nearly as bad.
Cripe...you are reaching old maid status...is that off topic...naw...you brought it up so it's your fault...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks yall.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 PM

WAit..... Do you need a permit in Alaska for a semi automatic rifle? I find it hard to believe. Wouldnt think so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage