Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

28 posts, read 91,998 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have posted on here a couple of times. I had no internet access for the last two weeks due to traveling non-stop. After taking 4 ferries and 12 hours of driving, I am happy to say that I am finally in Anchorage. It was a long trip. My dad drove me up here, which is good because I don't remember much of it. I was still recovering from being seasick and taking Dramian. Things finally stopped moving around the 4th day of being off the last ferry ride. I am not sure why it was this bad. The ferry rocked some but not much. I only took my car and packed it up as much as I can with things that I will need for my apartment. I figure that I would get what I need up here. Shopping is proving to be a challenge. Not much of a selection up here.

I arrived last Sunday (about a week ago) and spent the first couple days looking at apartments and handling paperwork and training classes at the district office. I finally did get an apartment but it was hard. I am staying in midtown area. There appears to be a shortage. The good thing is that the apartment is not far from my school. I have spent the last couple days shopping for my apartment. I did my first food shopping. That was a shock to see the high prices for some of the things that I buy back home.

My first impression of this town has been good. Everyone is so nice and ready to help me out. I have gotten lost more times than I can count. I have discovered some amazing restaurants (I had to eat out due to no dishes).

thanks
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Welcome to Alaska!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
Welcome Jennifer!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Welcome home.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM

167 posts, read 422,601 times
Jennifer,
Welcome to Alaska. My husband and I are recently retired teachers and we arrived in Anchorage just a few weeks ago. (If interested check my posts for details) We came with very little and needed to furnish a condo from the ground up. If you are in need of furnishings of all kinds I highly recommend checking Craig's list everyday. People are always moving and most do not take their furniture. We have been able to furnish our place with good quality items at very reasonable prices. If you need help moving large items there are people on Craig's list that move things for reasonable prices. The other place I had good luck for cookware, pyrex bowls, roasting pan and bakeware, was online with Amazon. Amazon will ship to AK and even honor their free shipping policy. Good luck.
Diane

Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Congrats Jennifer, welcome.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
Jennifer,
Welcome to Alaska. My husband and I are recently retired teachers and we arrived in Anchorage just a few weeks ago. (If interested check my posts for details) We came with very little and needed to furnish a condo from the ground up. If you are in need of furnishings of all kinds I highly recommend checking Craig's list everyday. People are always moving and most do not take their furniture. We have been able to furnish our place with good quality items at very reasonable prices. If you need help moving large items there are people on Craig's list that move things for reasonable prices. The other place I had good luck for cookware, pyrex bowls, roasting pan and bakeware, was online with Amazon. Amazon will ship to AK and even honor their free shipping policy. Good luck.
Diane
I've gotten orders from Amazon in 3-4 days

Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Value Village onthe north side of Northern Lights between Bragaw & Boniface has tons of 2nd hand kitchen & other stuff.

Welcome to Anchorage from another teacher! Hope you had a great first day of school!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM

153 posts, read 463,188 times
I know that feeling! I was net-less for most of the summer when I'd planned to post pictures of our trip through the wilds

Welcome home!

Shan

Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 PM

45 posts, read 142,354 times
Is there a way to send private messages here?
Jennifer, I'm also a teacher who will begin in a week(yes, late) and am moving from another state. I'd love to hear from you about the school district and other things about being a newcomer.
I'm very excited to work in Anchorage, but a little nervous, especially since I've already missed the first day of school.

eta: nevermind, I figured out the private message feature.

If there are any other teachers on board, I'd love to hear your insight on the ins and outs of ASD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage