Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 AM

234 posts, read 718,847 times

Advertisements

Juneau is one step ahead of us, they don't have fluoridated city water.

Anchorage puts ridiculously high amounts of fluoride into city tap water. We really need to get in touch with City Council and try to get the fluoride out of our water!!! It is terrible to ingest. It causes bone cancer and it collects over time in a gland in your brain causing lethargy. Do some research and you'll be disturbed. It's OK in toothpaste - but toothpaste is not for eating! And using a Brita filter will NOT remove fluoride.

We need to realize what we are drinking is poison - I can't believe people let their kids drink this water. If things don't change I am going to find a house with non-fluoridated well water...ASAP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
There's a reason small kids aren't supposed to use normal tooth paste, or brush their teeth alone...
I'm with you all the way - fluoride needs to be taken out of the tap water immediately. There are other ways of cleaning the drinking water, ways that do not include poisons.

Fluoride was actually used in the concentration camps as a nerve gas. Worth considering when drinking tap water...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
Juneau is one step ahead of us, they don't have fluoridated city water.

Anchorage puts ridiculously high amounts of fluoride into city tap water. We really need to get in touch with City Council and try to get the fluoride out of our water!!! It is terrible to ingest. It causes bone cancer and it collects over time in a gland in your brain causing lethargy. Do some research and you'll be disturbed. It's OK in toothpaste - but toothpaste is not for eating! And using a Brita filter will NOT remove fluoride.

We need to realize what we are drinking is poison - I can't believe people let their kids drink this water. If things don't change I am going to find a house with non-fluoridated well water...ASAP!!!
Have a talk with the Anchorage's assembly and see what they can do. Fluoride has been used for decades in most towns and cities throughout the US. It's not longer used in a lot of places, but some still do. The same with asbestos water mains, which are still used in some of the major US cities and towns to this day. if you have any worries about things like that, you can filter your drinking water. Also, tap water is used in some of the bottled water you buy at the stores AND these bottles are made of plastic that is not BPA free.

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-17-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I live on well water in Anchorage but it is rusty probably because of old pipes. Am I going to grow a third arm pretty soon? Does anyone know the health affects of too much iron in the water?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times

YouTube - Black Sabbath Iron Man(Live in Paris 1970)

Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
I'm gonna turn into a young Ozzy? Well, at least he has a family that puts up with him, could be worse.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I live on well water in Anchorage but it is rusty probably because of old pipes. Am I going to grow a third arm pretty soon? Does anyone know the health affects of too much iron in the water?
According to the Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water, Inorganic Toxic Criteria Worksheet there is no upper limit to the level of iron in your drinking water. There are upper limits of iron allowable in irrigation water and water that supports fresh water aquatic life, but no upper limits for drinking water.

While at the DEC web site, you might want to check out the Contaminated Sites Program under the Division of Spill Prevention & Response for any possible sources of contamination in your area that could effect your well water. It may contain more than just oxidized iron.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
According to the Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water, Inorganic Toxic Criteria Worksheet there is no upper limit to the level of iron in your drinking water. There are upper limits of iron allowable in irrigation water and water that supports fresh water aquatic life, but no upper limits for drinking water.

While at the DEC web site, you might want to check out the Contaminated Sites Program under the Division of Spill Prevention & Response for any possible sources of contamination in your area that could effect your well water. It may contain more than just oxidized iron.
check out the disease hemochromatosis due to iron overload...my father died of it and it runs in our family...highly susceptible to any large forms of iron intake but...the correlation of drinking water and disease is still questionable.

The Hemochromatosis Information Center :: Home

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,020 times
Nice Iron man clip ,warptman thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
I have had iron deficiencies before, iron doesn't usually cause a problem other than it can taste bad and stain fixtures but everyone is different and has different levels of tolerance for things like that, and the concentration of iron can have an impact...the creek by my land is full of iron. But it's the possible arsenic that worries me more. I have a water purifier that will remove that and also fluoride, chlorine, bacteria, etc. For iron I'll need to rig up a sand filter to take that out before putting it through the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage