Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

There's a Land Rover dealer on Gambell:
Anchorage Land Rover Dealer,land rover anchorage,land rover dealer anchorage,land rover dealership anchorage,land rover car anchorage,land rover auto anchorage,land rover sales anchorage,land rover car sales anchorage,land rover auto sales anchorage,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 PM

124 posts, read 276,715 times
Default Anchorage drivers

I think one of the problem with Anchorage drivers is that there are many people coming from less spectacular places so once they get surrounded by so much stunning beauty they pay more attention to the scenery than to the road ahead of them. Or, in some cases, they are just clueless. See attached image recently taken in downtown Anchorage as evidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars For Alaska-car.jpg  

Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 PM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
LOL That is quite a picture!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,699 times
I saw a driver in Florida get out of her car, put the nozzle into the tank, walk around the car and get back in the car and then drive off. The pump started to follow her and bent over before the fire started. I was leaving and did a real drag start to get away from the scene. A look back in the rear view mirror showed a fire so I kept going. Wonder how this one happened?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM

49 posts, read 134,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Put a set of studded tires and they'll be fine. Anchorage has every type of car imaginable and every type of car made.

Studded tires
That is simply bad advice. It is what people told me when I moved to Anchorage and is just wrong. It is obvious you don't know the answer to this so you shouldn't be participating.

While the new paving has helped there are still many problems.

Vehicles with low profile tires also have hard/ sport suspensions. This will limit the snow/ ice tire one can purchase. The person asking the question might be okay, they might not.

The freeway used to have ruts in each lane (this has largely been fixed). My vehicle would follow the ruts and it was very difficult to drive as you could fight the ruts or let the car wander. It wouldn't climb out of the rut but it would surf from side to side as if the driver was intoxicated. Fighting the ruts was very difficult as the suspension, tires, and steering was taking inputs from the road instead of the steering wheel.

Anchorage roads have excessive frost heaves/ pot holes, gaps/ seams, and tar fillings. You simply can not avoid them or drive around them all. When you hit them you will know it. Sport suspensions are not designed for this abuse and it makes for a very uncomfortable ride. It also destroys your vehicle.

When the ice packs on the road it can be like driving on a rock hard, unimproved dirt road. Every vibration will be transmitted through the vehicle cabin as well. For the person asking the question find a dirt road where you live and drive on it at 40-50 mph. If you don't like it you have a problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Are you a moderator? I, a life long Alaska resident can't reply to a thread? Nice...I'll leave it to you, the new to Alaska expert.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Warpt is completely correct, any car will do in Anchorage, even without studs. The main thing is to be careful, drive slower then normal, and watch out for the other drivers.

Anchorage is really no different than any other northern city as far as driving in winter goes.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM

49 posts, read 134,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Are you a moderator? I, a life long Alaska resident can't reply to a thread? Nice...I'll leave it to you, the new to Alaska expert.
Don't take offense. If you are goint to voluntarily provide information start putting effort into giving the right information, not just information. Responding with "I have lived here my whole life" isn't validation. I am sure that you know more than one or two idiots who have lived in Alaska their whole lives, do you take their word as the tuth? When people make plans based on information that you don't understand but none the less provide that is wrong. Please try better to provide the correct answer.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
The two cars the OP mentioned will both accomodate studded tires. Once the streets get ice and snow packed a 2 wheel drive car will greatly benefit from studs. That's a proven fact.

Warpt was correct in the information he gave out. It might not apply to you but you weren't the one asking the question.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo72 View Post
When the ice packs on the road it can be like driving on a rock hard, unimproved dirt road. Every vibration will be transmitted through the vehicle cabin as well. For the person asking the question find a dirt road where you live and drive on it at 40-50 mph. If you don't like it you have a problem.
When I lived in Oregon, I regularly drove on a gravel road where the top speed was 15-20 mph because of all the wash boarding. During the winter, I could go 55 mph on it because of the packed snow and ice.

Maybe it's time for you to replace your suspension. I've been driving on said packed snow/ice and while I can hear the tires vibrating, the ride is smooth as driving on bare pavement, except for the few times where you could feel the car sliding on ice.

Just about any car can be driven here in the winter. Some cars are safer and better able to handle the conditions than others. The most important thing on how well the car will do on the road is the ability of the person holding onto the steering wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage