Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
TeachrGirl....

As a fellow teacher, Anchorage is a great place for teachers. Plus, we have a huge bubble of baby-boomer teachers getting ready to retire, so don't wait too long! Anchorage visits jobs fairs outside or there is one here in the spring. A lot of new teachers come up and sub the first year.

TeachrGirl, if you can fit in special education credential or if you are a fluent Spanish speaker there is certainly an instant need for both. In fact, there is a $3000 signing bonus for qualifying foreign language- speaking teachers.

As a fellow outdoor enthusiast, Anchorage is unbelievable! We are the gateway to all types of outdoor activities. Anchorage itself has a remarkable groomed ski trail system throughout the entire city which becomes walking, biking trails too.

The Anchorage School District has even been hiring ITs, so you could both theoretically have your summers free for outdoor activities. Now there's a thought!

At the solstice, here in Anchorage we have about 5 1/2 hours of light. But then the light increases every day, a reason for celebration. Up in Fairbanks at the solstice there is about 3 3/4 hours of light.

I get out to skate ski every day in the winter after teaching & there is still enough ambient light for that. I find that getting out every day to exercise in the light keeps me from getting down!
that bonus almost makes me want to teach in anchorage (since i speak spanish fluently...hasn't done me much good out here!).
however, that means i'd have to live in the city. i wonder if it would come in handy anywhere off the road system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
that bonus almost makes me want to teach in anchorage (since i speak spanish fluently...hasn't done me much good out here!).
however, that means i'd have to live in the city. i wonder if it would come in handy anywhere off the road system...
Anchorage has a couple of Spanish Immersion elementary schools that are always needing teachers. One is way north of town on the Glenn Hwy. in Chugiak, but still on the road system.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Teachrgirl....

Here are some examples of openings for IT with the school district right now:

PVA -- Anchorage School District Intranet
http://www.asdk12.org/depts/hr/ViewD...l&PVAID=111468

Old 03-09-2010, 03:18 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Anchorage has a couple of Spanish Immersion elementary schools that are always needing teachers. One is way north of town on the Glenn Hwy. in Chugiak, but still on the road system.
i have a good friend who teaches a 5th grade immersion class (but not in alaska). too bad i can only teach secondary...

Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

145 posts, read 570,554 times
Hey, we have a Spanish Immersion school here in Wasilla. I do not know its name, but, if you look at the Mat-Su school district site...you could find it.

Deb

Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,301 times
I am 20 and my husband is 26 =) and we have lived here (Soldotna) for 6 years and are getting ready to move to Spokane, Washington in May. It IS a beautiful place in the summer and is probably a dream land for the outdoor enthusiast but the winters are HELL. seriously :-p and we have a 3 year old daughter and there just isn't enough to do here. Anchorage is dirty and there is a lot of crime there (in my opinion) If you ever plan on having children I wouldn't recommend living there. And I agree with everyone else you should definitely come visit first before making your decision. Either way I wish you guys the best of luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,275 times
I would like to tell you that since you have a dream, have an education and skills and you are young, as long as you make empower yourself with factual information, have the time, energy and funds to try out a new life, then why not? In the end you have to ask yourself, will I regret if I don't do this? March to the beat of your own dreams whatever they may be.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I would like to tell you that since you have a dream, have an education and skills and you are young, as long as you make empower yourself with factual information, have the time, energy and funds to try out a new life, then why not? In the end you have to ask yourself, will I regret if I don't do this? March to the beat of your own dreams whatever they may be.
perfect.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
About Juneau having the most light....while it's true that Southeast Alaska has the most hours of actual daylight in the winter than the rest of the state, the quality of that daylight isn't all that good. I do better farther north in the winter that in SE; I'll take -40 and sunny any day rather than 40 above and raining sideways and nothing but gloom in sight.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
About Juneau having the most light....while it's true that Southeast Alaska has the most hours of actual daylight in the winter than the rest of the state, the quality of that daylight isn't all that good. I do better farther north in the winter that in SE; I'll take -40 and sunny any day rather than 40 above and raining sideways and nothing but gloom in sight.
That's what I said but not quite as eloquent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage