Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 PM

57 posts, read 129,920 times

Advertisements

I saw that there are some posts here by Swedes in Alaska. So I am kind of wondering how many of us there are? Especially wondering if there are any others with younger kids.

We have a 2 1/2 year old that I only speak Swedish with and then a couple of months old that well I only speak Swedish with as well but she obviously doesn't say anything back yet

Just curious - would love for my son to meet other kids around here that would speak Swedish even though I realize the chances are very slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Sweden is from Sweden.
The rest of us mostly hang in the world forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
My Great Grandma Nystrom was from Sweden.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Sweden is from Sweden - not sure how to read that except there may be a user named Sweden from Sweden.

OK found some info about her and Rance (hope I got that spelling right I closed down the window) -- that explains your post. Thanks

Hoping to find some here in Alaska -- får fortsätta att leta

Last edited by mikeak01; 05-18-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Tada - I heard people saying my name

Well, I don't have any children of my own as of yet (though my work consists mainly of leading children's groups), but I do live in Alaska. Sterling, down on the Kenai peninsula.

Where do you live? I've heard there's a place in Anchorage (it's off of Dimond blv and New Seward/Old Seward somewhere) called The Viking or something of that sort. It's supposed to be a meeting ground for Swedes in Alaska. Haven't been there myself yet, but might be a place to go?

I'm in Minneapolis visiting family right now, and won't be back in Alaska 'til end of June, but it would be nice to meet fellow countrymen if you're up for it sometime?

Good luck and hope it's warming up, up there too - it's 37 C (96 F) here in Owatonna, MN right now, and the humidity is like being hugged by a wet blanket!

Ha det bra och lycka till!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Hej Sweden,

Went fishing for the weekend and forgot about this site but good to hear from you.

Will check out the Viking thing and see what I find out. I know several are involved in the Sons of Norway and went to their Christmas Basar (which was in November / early December last year) and ran into a couple.

Drove through Sterling this weekend on our way down to Anchor Point Usually we spend as much time as possible down at the Russian River / Soldotna fishing reds in the summer. Will be less this year with a new born, but will definately get some fishing in.

Let me know when you are back in town / going into Anchorage. I might not be on here all that frequently but will keep checking back

Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
Default Looking for Swedish Community

Hi there.

I am an American dating a Swede. I have a job up in Alaska beginning in August 2011. My boyfriend is a Swedish lawyer and we are trying to find a Swedish community to access resources to see about finding work for him.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? We are desperate. Even if someone knew of a place that has a Swedish contingent. I will be working in Palmer but we would be open to any suggestions regarding possible employment, employment resources, Swedish companies, ANYTHING. It would be best if he could do something in the legal field, ie. paralegal but anything would do at this point.

Anything may help.
Thanks so much

Alaska Bound

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
I forgot about this thread!

Mikeak01, I'm sorry about not getting back to you earlier. Förlåt.
I actually now got an apartment in downtown Anchorage. Still no children, but back in Sweden I used to (and still do when possible) work with children, so if you need a Swedish speaking baby sitter, I could maybe help out with that atleast?

There is also another Swede now living in Sterling as off last fall. And she told me that there is an older lady from Sweden also living somewhere in that area - close to me in fact, which leads me to believe that there might still be more fellow countrymen out there that we have yet to find. (Have you found the Viking place? I have been too busy, but will try to do that this upcoming week.)

AlaskaBound 2011, I'm afraid us Swedes are a bit bad at forming groups/communities abroad (we have a lot to learn from the Norweigans), so I'm afraid I can't help you at this moment. But I will look it up and see what I find (And if I forget, just bump this thread up and I'll be reminded. I'll ask the moderator to have mercy on us.)

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Sweden I think this is the hall we've been talking about. It's a Sons of Norway Lodge at the Viking Hall in Anchorage. I can't find any Swede's! Maybe you should start a club that could meet at the same hall?

Sons of Norway - Lodge Directory

Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Well I didn't just forget about this thread I forgot about the forum so förlåt ifrån mig

I emailed with the person in Sterling (won't put her name here for privacy reasons). I met a Swedish lady in the grocery store in Eagle River (don't have her contact information), there is a lady from Sweden that does hair in Eagle River (have her contact information) and a "co-worker" of the wife's friend is Swedish either in Anchorage / Eagle River (not sure where they live). Then the owner of South Side Bistro is Swedish.

So with that said if we plan it right - any interest in celebrating midsommar?

Sweden - bor ni i stan? Vi bor ute i Eagle River. Är definitivt interesserad av baby sitter / nanny speciellt då den tredje kommer till sommaren men vet inte hur långt det vore att köra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage