Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times

Advertisements

20 developments to watch around downtown Ann Arbor | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,320 times
Wow, that's crazy! Good to see how good things are going there

Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 AM

447 posts, read 496,329 times
Ann Arbor is the jewel of Michigan as well as one the best cities in the country.
It does not surprise me to see that there are several downtown developments in the works there. However, 20 is very impressive and that does surprise me!

Keep it going AA.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Ann Arbor is the jewel of Michigan as well as one the best cities in the country.
It does not surprise me to see that there are several downtown developments in the works there. However, 20 is very impressive and that does surprise me!

Keep it going AA.
Ann Arbor is nice. But I think that Grand Rapids, Traverse City, or Marquette would earn the title of "The Jewel of Michigan" before Ann Arbor. (But can definitely understand how another person might say it's Ann Arbor)

What do you think about the height restrictions city council put in place? They seem to want to prevent high rises being built. I'm not sure where I fall on this issue.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Ann Arbor is nice. But I think that Grand Rapids, Traverse City, or Marquette would earn the title of "The Jewel of Michigan" before Ann Arbor. (But can definitely understand how another person might say it's Ann Arbor)

What do you think about the height restrictions city council put in place? They seem to want to prevent high rises being built. I'm not sure where I fall on this issue.
Many long-time Ann Arborites don't like having high-rises next to the historic single-family homes.

The currently under construction Foundry Lofts exemplify the worst case scenario.

Aside from that, many older Ann Arborites just don't like the rapid population growth; the congestion, the rise in rents and housing prices; demolition of older homes for new highrises. Basically all the issues that come with rapidly changing cities. In Detroit, those who found the new inner-city too crowded often moved farther out if they could. Though in Ann Arbor, people also seem anti-sprawl which isn't avoidable if Ann Arbor is to grow.

By the way, Washtenaw County as a whole is experiencing rapid growth. Not only is Ann Arbor seeing numerous development, but quite a few nearby townships and smaller cities are see hundreds of new homes being built. In all of Washtenaw County, there's currently 3,400 homes, apartments, or condos under construction, in addition to numerous new hotels and small shopper centers. It won't take long for the County to top 400,000 residents (possibly topping Genesee County (Flint) as the 5th most populous county in Michigan right behind Kent County (Grand Rapids)).

See the database of development projects in Washtenaw County | MLive.com

Last edited by animatedmartian; 08-01-2015 at 05:40 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
I lived in Ann Arbor from '93 to '02, first in grad school and then teaching for my department. I loved living there for grad school but always knew it was temporary (departments virtually never hire their own grads for tenure-track positions) so didn't allow myself to get TOO attached.

I suspect I would not recognize the place today.

Every once in a while I think about retiring to Ann Arbor, more for the intellectual environment than anything else. Then I come to my senses.

(FANTASTIC place to go to grad school of course ... just not sure it would be a fantastic place to retire, given how expensive it seems to be becoming!)

Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I get the impression that A2 picked up a lot of Detroit flight of one type or another. As Detroit and other places where sinking A2 was growing. I think its sad. We just keep ruining place after place instead of fixing what's wrong. Then that place gets ruined and everyone runs to the next place. Leaving behind acres of old toxic stuff.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:52 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I get the impression that A2 picked up a lot of Detroit flight of one type or another. As Detroit and other places where sinking A2 was growing. I think its sad. We just keep ruining place after place instead of fixing what's wrong. Then that place gets ruined and everyone runs to the next place. Leaving behind acres of old toxic stuff.
Not really. Technically, the only flight from Detroit was UofM like 100-something years ago. After that, most of the investment and reason for Ann Arbor's growth has been more or less directly connected to the college.

Had UofM stayed in Detroit, then Ann Arbor would have likely just been another small town out in the sticks and Detroit would have likely had a much more stable downtown area.

These days, the only people who make the move from Metro Detroit to Ann Arbor are mostly college students, but even then they eventually move back to Metro Detroit.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:26 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't understand, how are we ruining AA? And by AA picking up Detroit flight, what do you mean? Most people moving out of Detroit moved to Oakland/Macomb counties, or out of the metro area entirely. Poor people from Detroit can't even afford to live in Ypsi now. An influx of new people hasn't ruined any cities yet, why would it ruin AA?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I lived in Ann Arbor when I was in law school, 1976-79, and I probably haven't been back there since 1982. I'm getting the sense that I would have a hard time recognizing it, but I'll be back there for a few days in the fall and I'm looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor