Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM

14 posts, read 16,639 times

Advertisements

As a prospective AA resident, I already know that I will need to commute to Detroit for certain career opportunities and cultural events. However, I really hate driving (like really, really).

Here's what I've got for other transportation options from AA to Detroit:
  • MDOT Vanpools — M-F, early-6pm (nothing later is available, from what I can tell)
  • "M Detroit connector bus" — Weekends, mostly 9-5. (But presumably one needs a UofM identification in order to ride this? Not sure if you can just pay, or if you can be "sponsored" like with some of the other university facilities...)
  • Greyhound buses — mostly everything except weekday evenings.
WHAT'S MISSING: No alternatives for weekdays after 5-6pm or so, and no alternatives for weekends after 11pm (the latest Greyhound departure back to AA). Also, if the "M Detroit Connector" is exclusive to UofM students, then really the only reasonably priced alternative for semi-regular commuting seems to be the vanpools during weekday work hours.

Are there any other options I've missed? Anything else I should know, or that might be helpful? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Out of curiosity what do you consider "reasonably priced"?
Public transportation is not exactly a strong point for suburban Detroit. Add to that Ann Arbor is a pretty "self contained" city and is not a suburb of Detroit and it all adds up to limited options, especially during off hours. You can always order up an Uber but they can be a bit pricey. If surge pricing is in effect they can be really pricey.

All in all I think your hopes or expectations may be a bit unrealistic. Especially for evening options.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Out of curiosity what do you consider "reasonably priced"?
Public transportation is not exactly a strong point for suburban Detroit. Add to that Ann Arbor is a pretty "self contained" city and is not a suburb of Detroit and it all adds up to limited options, especially during off hours. You can always order up an Uber but they can be a bit pricey. If surge pricing is in effect they can be really pricey.

All in all I think your hopes or expectations may be a bit unrealistic. Especially for evening options.
I'm actually fairly impressed with these options (more than expected!) -- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. "Reasonably priced" probably wasn't the best way to put it. The prices for those services seem to be perfectly reasonable, if not exceptionally so. I just meant that taking Greyhound busses on a regular basis would certainly add up and is probably not doable for me. Thanks for the Uber suggestion!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Transportation options are very very limited.

What times of day are thinking of coming to Detroit?

There is a AAATA bus route that will take you to Metro Airport. Then you can take the SMART BUS route 125 from the Airport to the Detroit City Limits, and then take the DDOT Bus Route 19 to Downtown Detroit.

During rush hours on Weekdays (6-9 am, and 3-6 pm), that same SMART BUS goes to Downtown Detroit, so you won't have to stop off and get on a DDOT Bus.

One-way trip is about 2 to 3 hours.

You gotta drive. Just do it.

In maybe 1.5 to 2 years, we MAY have a commuter rail line from Ann Arbor to Detroit. It has been delayed for about 10 years now. The RTA will likely ask for a transit tax in the 4-County RTA jurisdiction on the November Ballot. If it passes, funding for the long delayed transit line might be available.

A2D RAIL ALLIANCE | Ann Arbor – Ypsilanti – Wayne/Airport – Dearborn – Detroit

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
You can take Amtrak between Detroit and Ann Arbor - I've done it numerous time. You just schedule your arrival/departures around that schedule.

There is also a Mega Bus between Detroit and Chicago that stops in Ann Arbor.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
I think Amtrak and Mega Bus, while certainly worth mentioning are pretty limited in timing.
To do Megabus you have to buy a Detroit to Chicago ticket and get off in Ann Arbor.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:02 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
the MDOT vanpools are okay provided you work, like, 7-4 exclusively. Even an hour later and you're likely SOL.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
In maybe 1.5 to 2 years, we MAY have a commuter rail line from Ann Arbor to Detroit. It has been delayed for about 10 years now. The RTA will likely ask for a transit tax in the 4-County RTA jurisdiction on the November Ballot. If it passes, funding for the long delayed transit line might be available.

A2D RAIL ALLIANCE | Ann Arbor – Ypsilanti – Wayne/Airport – Dearborn – Detroit
This would be amazing!

Thanks for everyone's input, definitely some helpful suggestions and insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor