Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,306 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am very close to buying an apartment in Holland and wanted to know what some of your ideas are regarding converting this rectangular shaped apartment into a one bedroom apartment. I know some people would keep it open as is but we are going to have friends stay on a sofa bed at the other end of the apartment so need to convert it into a one bedroom or one bedroom + walk in wardrobe.

Basically in the Netherlands, light is a big issue in apartments. The apartment at the moment is open and the result is that there is lots of light into the bedroom especially with the bedroom window being extremely small. One of the options I am considering is Smart Glass (i.e. http://www.dreamglassgroup.co.uk/products/privacy-glass) which would allow light into the bedroom when switched on whilst when switched off would provide privacy and hopefully block out lots of light so we can sleep. Some other options I was thinking about was by-fold doors or biting the bullet and making proper walls to the apartment and putting in a sky light above the bedroom which would have a switch to activate electronic covers or something for it (likely expensive).

I am really interested in your thoughts. In the layout I've sent, there's two small things just above the windows. I believe these are where the walls were and could probably be used to build out the walls again or panels of glass/smart-glass etc. I would probably be happy leaving the apartment as is but the boss (aka wife) would like it to be made into a one bedroom, possibly with walk in closet.

Thanks very much for any feedback or opinions you can provide me in advance. I am not creative at all so am open to any out of the box ideas.

Thanks again

- Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-roomlayout.jpg   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-apt1.jpg   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-apt2.jpg   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-apt3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
The smart glass is the coolest idea. You can always do the NYC fake wall thing (with windows on top and/ or glass in the door)
Room Dividers NY - Photo Album

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
I have frosted glass doors in my house instead of standard. You can also use them as room dividers, closures. They still glow and allow light but give much privacy. Depends how you attach at the ceiling. The privacy glass you've show is the best! I'd go for that but mine might be less expensive. I'm not sure. I think a real wall would close that room off and look dated. IMO, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-screen-shot-2013-04-19-10.19.00   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-screen-shot-2013-04-19-10.19.18   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-screen-shot-2013-04-19-10.19.33   Ideas for converting an open apartment into one bedroom in Holland-screen-shot-2013-04-19-10.20.18  

Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 PM

536 posts, read 573,754 times
Your photos look very nice to me.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 PM

175 posts, read 406,244 times
I MUCH prefer the sliding glass doors! I would like to use them myself!
Can I come see it when your done!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum