Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity I posted a home for sale in a suburb of Chicago owned by R.Kelly. The current price
has dropped to about $500,000 (picked the link because it had the best photo's)
In comparison there is another home in a very expensive suburb north of Chicago and yes it is
smaller.

If you had to chose which home would you pick. Which home is visually more appealing to you?

R. Kelly Mansion Bought by Bank in Foreclosure Auction | AOL Real Estate

304 Melrose Ave, Kenilworth IL 60043 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The Illinois house is spectacular. Why don't you buy it and invite us to visit?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Like comparing diamonds to glass shards...

George W. Maher - Prairie School - Architect

A wonderfully preserved / updated example of one of the Praire School's most prominent architect's influential designs in a womderful community, near to Lake Michigan, with excellent schools, interesting cultural offerings and a pleasant commute to many excellent employment options in Chicago's Loop and north suburbs will be a wise choice for the smart buyer.

In contrast the former abode of a disgraced entertainer accused of horrible, criminal behavior, built in the middle of nowhere, with no connection to anything in an area that has been much harder hit than more desirable parts of the Chicago region, risky move for anyone...

Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The Illinois house is spectacular. Why don't you buy it and invite us to visit?
Oh, I wish - and if I did, sure come on over. The other house is also in Illinois but in a southern suburb.
Chet, thanks for providing the information about the architect but I was just looking for current
homes for sale around the suburbs of Chicago.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Just considering the visual appeal I would go with the 2nd smaller house- no contest. Lots of detail, nice proportions, beautiful setting. The Kelly house is just....big.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Just considering the visual appeal I would go with the 2nd smaller house- no contest. Lots of detail, nice proportions, beautiful setting. The Kelly house is just....big.
That would be my choice too.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Definitely the Kenilworth house is preferable to me, and that's actually not a bad value for Kenilworth since it's a few hundred thousand less than the "average" property in the neighborhood. The former R. Kelly residence is devoid of detailing that makes the house special, and is akin to a large box; and, some may consider it a mansion, but I would not because it is devoid of details that are of a more timeless character that is more associated with the term mansion, i.e., the house is dated. The Kenilworth home, in contrast, has benefit of scale and proportion in a comfortable square footage, a bit on the smaller side for the neighborhood, but the house has presence, especially due to its age, and has a timeless quality that can be updated to suit modern lifestyles while retaining the best of its original design, something that looks to have been done from the listing details.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
The second house is a weak imitation of a Frank Lloyd Wright prairie style house. The first you can't really see from the aerial view. The second has more style, but it is not outstanding architecture.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
The second house is a weak imitation of a Frank Lloyd Wright prairie style house. The first you can't really see from the aerial view. The second has more style, but it is not outstanding architecture.
Scroll down on the R. Kelly site, you can see the interior and other views of the exterior. Yes, it is not
a Wright home but designed by a Prairie style architect, so what.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Scroll down on the R. Kelly site, you can see the interior and other views of the exterior. Yes, it is not
a Wright home but designed by a Prairie style architect, so what.
Ok finally looked. Well my point was that neither is particularly good architecture, the prairie style house whilst the better of the two isn't really that much better tbh. It's pretty blocky and inelegant, unlike Wrights designs. Although it does have a clarity of vision, it's not that well executed really. If I had to pick one, I would pick the second of course, but because I know I could do something with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum