Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times

Advertisements

Like many here I am house fantatic and an amature architecture critic; I love beautiful homes but I also love to hate ugly ones.

So post your ugly house pictures and let us mock them, because honestly, what else is there to do, besides that deferred maintenance we should be doing?

Here's some scary stuff I've found lately:

This might as well be a duplex; cars live on one side and barbie doll people on the right. A good example of why you shouldn't build a mansion with off the shelf of Home Depot parts too. Yea, it was expensive, but it still looks cheap.

This house is not too far from me in Salt Lake County. This is dracula's castle realized in brick and vinyl. It's a good thing they put that big ass chimney on the roofline to compliment the other big ass chimney right next to it along the facade; it distracts my eyes away from the ticky-tacky windows, the various oddly shaped (and located) towers and the giant flagpole, to remind us that only in America can we associate ugliness with success!

American domestic architecture is replete with phallic symbolism, and this house in no exception. Also present is the owner's apparent indecision to go with either sleek modern or quaint traditional styling; so hell, why not do both?

The two guys in front say it all... in a nutshell: "WTF?" Here windows are optional, as well as good taste. At least the garage is easy to find. Somebody raise Diego Rivera from the dead...we need a giant mural, pronto!

...Speaking of good taste, props to this person for preserving the natural environment in the front yard; too bad a 45 square mile piece of desert vista is ruined by the "cheap condo" quality pile of early 21st century pressboard turd built on the rest of the lot. There's nothing like a pimply fake rock job and enough roofing tile to shelter Tijuana to say "I've arrived"!

Share some architectural sins against nature and humanity!

Last edited by Chango; 06-17-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times
Then you also enjoy this site as well....

Ugly House Photos

Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,054 times
This thread reminds me of a book I looked through when we were planning our new house. They took photos of recently built homes, explained why they looked SO wrong (sometimes it wasn't immediately obvious why it jarred the eye) and then modified the house photos to show how much better they looked with the suggested changes.

One faux pas I recall, because I see it so often, was "stone" floating on the upper story (as in that last photo).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
ON the last house -- it's the stupid thick walled staircase from the baloncy to the front door..... or is that the front door? 'Cause if it is -- it's WAY too small.....Oh -- wait -- I think the staircase leads your eyes that way, but the front door is in the middle of the lower floor od the balcony.....

just way too much going on here....

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
This thread reminds me of a book I looked through when we were planning our new house. They took photos of recently built homes, explained why they looked SO wrong (sometimes it wasn't immediately obvious why it jarred the eye) and then modified the house photos to show how much better they looked with the suggested changes.

One faux pas I recall, because I see it so often, was "stone" floating on the upper story (as in that last photo).
This book?

Amazon.com: What Not To Build: Do's and Don'ts of Exterior Home Design (9781580112932): Sandra Edelman, Judith Kay Gaman, Robby Reid, Clarke Barre, Dan Piassick: Books

As you can imagine, I LOVE that book!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,054 times
Yes, that's the book. And it was just too easy to find similar examples while we were driving around house hunting.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,988 times
Thanks to the OP. Great pics and I especially liked the commentary. Post more if you have them!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
ON the last house -- it's the stupid thick walled staircase from the baloncy to the front door..... or is that the front door? 'Cause if it is -- it's WAY too small.....Oh -- wait -- I think the staircase leads your eyes that way, but the front door is in the middle of the lower floor od the balcony.....

just way too much going on here....
One thing is clear, that little door is simply a door to the garage, not the main entrance.

I've seen houses like that, usually near the beach, where the front door is on the second floor. The reason is because the entire main living area is on the second floor of the house because of potential flooding due to living near the ocean. The first floor might be finished but it's finished like basements are finished in other regions of the country---extra living space or inlaw apartments.

But the OP lives in Salt Lake so that can't be the reason for the weird staircase. Maybe it's a condo---two residences, one on the top floor and the other on the bottom. Or maybe the top floor is the main floor simply because the views are spectacular. Whatever the reason, that house design is a mess.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 AM

140 posts, read 298,819 times
It makes you wonder what drugs the architect was on when he/she designed some of these houses.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Tiger Woods home is ugly to me.

The Big Picture: Tiger Woods' new home is big, ugly

Edit: I guess his old house now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum