Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Those are the current restrictions, which should be lifted sometime this week, most likely before the OP goes camping.
Considering the recent fires and the fear of this being a bad fire season, I would not expect to see any ban lifted this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:53 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
I linke the OP to the prescott national forest, not tonto. They are allowing fires for campsites with pre-built fire pits, but not for dispersed camping.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I linke the OP to the prescott national forest, not tonto. They are allowing fires for campsites with pre-built fire pits, but not for dispersed camping.
That was one reason I suggested Potato Patch up on Mingus. It's one of the best kept secrets in AZ and it's never crowded. Hardly anyone up there anytime and it's soooo quiet and peaceful. Far as I know they haven't put any restrictions on campfires but they do have firepits. And outhouses!

I just may take a drive up there this week....

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 35,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Potato Patch Park at the Mingus Mtn. summit. Cool, pine trees and 7,000 ft. elevation. Where would you be coming from?

So it is cool and most importantly has plenty of seclusion? Not a soul around this time of year?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkChoclatPasion View Post
So it is cool and most importantly has plenty of seclusion? Not a soul around this time of year?
I wouldn't swear to the "not a soul". lol Did you get the DM I sent this morning? I told you about an area more secluded than the campground.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
My dad, brother and uncles go to the black river every year...i've been once and it's awesome! It's a 4-wheel drive down but if your truck can make it it's totally worth the ride! North East of Globe.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
I love Mingus Mountain. Great all year round to camp. When I got back from Iraq the first time I went up Mingus Mountain in January in my new truck. I camped at Deadhorse Ranch, very crowded, but its where all of my friends wanted to go. I recommend Mingus Mountain as well. Just be sure to pick up your trash. You don't want a guy like me seeing anyone littering. Littering is one thing, but littering in a Park throws me over the edge.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
I love Mingus Mountain. Great all year round to camp. When I got back from Iraq the first time I went up Mingus Mountain in January in my new truck. I camped at Deadhorse Ranch, very crowded, but its where all of my friends wanted to go. I recommend Mingus Mountain as well. Just be sure to pick up your trash. You don't want a guy like me seeing anyone littering. Littering is one thing, but littering in a Park throws me over the edge.
I love Mingus Mtn. too. I grew up seeing it 'in my back yard' and I think that's why I can barely stand to live where I can't see a big mountain.

Deadhorse is right down the street from my house. I've had friends come up from Phoenix and camp there so I went down to visit with them and had a good time. It has way too many people though. Potato Patch has far fewer most of the time but there's also the road across the hiway that goes past the picnic area and waaay back toward Crown King and there are all sorts of private places to just pull in and camp. Potato Patch has a resident park person so I don't think there's going to be much littering going on.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM

67 posts, read 207,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC1 View Post
Looking for the best areas to camp in Arizona. Looking for get-away-from-it-all-places. No people. Privacy. Beauty.

Suggestions?
Check out the latest edition of Arizona Highways. It has a story on their top ten tent camping sites around Arizona. Absolutely beautiful! Any of the ten would meet your requirements. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona