Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 72,425 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to Arizona or New Mexico from Virginia. I want start a new life in the Southwest. I'm wondering what cities I should hone in on. I'm looking for someplace that has a good 25-30yr old aspect of it's community. I also am looking for :

-old, history, personality.
-diverse, progressive, artistic, creative, spiritual
-laid back, slow pace.
-modest, some grit, not entirely upscale.
-WALKABLE, be able to live a local life and walk to the grocery, coffee shops, bars, parks, etc.
-a city big enough for culture and variety and multiple things going on.
-good recreation, people who are into recreation, especially desert hiking or water nearby for kayaking.
-good, sunny warm weather
-descent economy, all things considered. Work available for a graphic designer.

Santa Fe is at the top of my list. I want to know more about Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Las Cruces, Taos, also Boulder Colorado. It seems to me these are the main considerations and most of the other cities in AZ and NM are going to be too small for what I'm looking for.

What are everybody's thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
I am thinking off the top that jobs for you would be tough in Sedona and Prescott (where we live).
But we do have a lot of everything else you seem to be interested in.
Jobs are tough in AZ. It's improving a bit but it's still not what it was.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 PM

54 posts, read 202,350 times
I think Tucson would fit you just fine!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
If it's AZ, I would think Tucson. Maybe Flagstaff and Sedona, too. Depending on where you live, Phoenix could also fit the bill.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,830 times
What about Jerome, Sedona, or some other small artsy town in Az. Both Tuscon and Phoenix works but it really depends on where you are for a slower pace.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,859 times
Flagstaff and Sedona have high costs of living and work is pretty scarce. Tucson is nice and sounds like a nice fit for your needs. Best wishes!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick View Post
I'm looking at moving to Arizona or New Mexico from Virginia. I want start a new life in the Southwest. I'm wondering what cities I should hone in on. I'm looking for someplace that has a good 25-30yr old aspect of it's community. I also am looking for :

-old, history, personality.
-diverse, progressive, artistic, creative, spiritual
-laid back, slow pace.
-modest, some grit, not entirely upscale.
-WALKABLE, be able to live a local life and walk to the grocery, coffee shops, bars, parks, etc.
-a city big enough for culture and variety and multiple things going on.
-good recreation, people who are into recreation, especially desert hiking or water nearby for kayaking.
-good, sunny warm weather
-descent economy, all things considered. Work available for a graphic designer.

Santa Fe is at the top of my list. I want to know more about Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Las Cruces, Taos, also Boulder Colorado. It seems to me these are the main considerations and most of the other cities in AZ and NM are going to be too small for what I'm looking for.

What are everybody's thoughts?
Please post your questions about other states in the appropriate forums. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 5,823 times
Tuscon would be my first choice. You might want to visit it yourself to get a feel of the place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona