Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM

295 posts, read 552,622 times

Advertisements

Arizona's public-school funding still battered by recession

State's school districts cope in varying ways with cuts in funding

For those of you also have children or for others connected to children, I wanted to raise awareness of the problems we are having with funding at our local schools. I know different views exist on how to tackle the education problems we have in Arizona, but most can agree funding difficulties have become more extreme during this recession. Supporting reform or efforts to reverse Arizona's declinging trend is crucial for the children of this state. Overrides paid through property taxes is one way this has been done in the past.

Working together, we can make a difference on how Arizona's children deal with these problems. Highlighted is a recent story on Arizona educational funding problems from a local newspaper to give some context:

Arizona's public-school funding still battered by recession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
You must be kidding, trying to get a bunch of cranky old Tea Partiers to fund education is futile. Your kids won't need an education to work at WALMART or flip burgers

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
I hear theres hope for "Baja Arizona". lol
Sorry, but your flogging a dead horse................! People are aware, don't care, and what he said above me. This isn't WI. ha ha
You go "Phxairconcerns"! I must say, you have persistence. For one, your screen name is a oxymoron.
Yet, you still go on fighting. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM

523 posts, read 937,237 times
Informative post and article which focuses on local Phoenix struggles with education funding in the context of the State's funding mechanisms. As many already know, Arizona ranks 50th out of 50 states in per pupil education funding: Hear Me Out: Arizona education in jeopardy without passage of Prop 100? I offer my support to anyone who pushes to try and change the status quo on this.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM

99 posts, read 259,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You must be kidding, trying to get a bunch of cranky old Tea Partiers to fund education is futile. Your kids won't need an education to work at WALMART or flip burgers
Sadly a great deal of what you say is true. With the Phoenix area's dismal job market, skills such as those listed are not needed for most of the available jobs, most of which are service oriented. The area has tried for decades to bring non-service jobs to the area, but it hasn't worked.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
Sadly a great deal of what you say is true. With the Phoenix area's dismal job market, skills such as those listed are not needed for most of the available jobs, most of which are service oriented. The area has tried for decades to bring non-service jobs to the area, but it hasn't worked.
This is something the Phoenix area is known for, low wages. I have been trying to work several other groups to try and change this fate, but it is hard going with competition from many other cities around this part of the U.S. It is hard to attract workers when our education funding is 50th in the country.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
It is hard to attract workers when our education funding is 50th in the country.
Hard to attract what kind of workers? I see a lot of job openings for the experienced computer science major.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM

99 posts, read 259,226 times
Quote:
This is something the Phoenix area is known for, low wages. I have been trying to work several other groups to try and change this fate, but it is hard going with competition from many other cities around this part of the U.S. It is hard to attract workers when our education funding is 50th in the country.
The last time I checked, Phoenix wages were 28th out of 32 for major metropolitan areas. It all makes sense with what we are seeing with job conditions. Hopefully people are fully prepared for how difficult the job market is here when making any decisions.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
I'm assuming there's a "with" missing here, but what exactly have you been trying to do, working "with" these other groups to "change this fate"? I'd like to hear about something concrete you are actually doing besides posting gloom and doom generalities on virtually every possible relevant thread on this forum.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
The last time I checked, Phoenix wages were 28th out of 32 for major metropolitan areas. It all makes sense with what we are seeing with job conditions. Hopefully people are fully prepared for how difficult the job market is here when making any decisions.
Thanks for the post. I know it continues to be a struggle for you and others in the job market, and we are working hard to try and bring something besides low wage service jobs to the area. In the end, this is what is what would make Arizona a place for middle class families, but it is hard when we keep losing business interest to Denver, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Texas, Florida, and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: