Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

I see Jeff Flake has renewed John McCains program to allow Uranium Mining adjacent to the Grand Canyon. Soon you'll be able to watch the Canyon at night with the green glow from the run off

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Toxic waste dump? Green glow? Personally I haven't done enough research to take a stand one way or another. Judging from your empty hyperbole, neither have you.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Toxic waste dump? Green glow? Personally I haven't done enough research to take a stand one way or another. Judging from your empty hyperbole, neither have you.
Yeah, open pit Uranium mining adjacent to the Grand Canyon, what could go wrong?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
quite an alarmist, sensational subject line, boompa....let's all research this a bit more on both sides and see the full story first........

Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I see Jeff Flake has renewed John McCains program to allow Uranium Mining adjacent to the Grand Canyon. Soon you'll be able to watch the Canyon at night with the green glow from the run off
What could go wrong?

How about the water table under Nevada, has anyone yet been able to drill and use that water for drinking?

Nevada Radiation | Nevada's hidden ocean of radiation - Los Angeles Times

Contaminated Water at Nevada Nuclear Site? - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com

Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What could go wrong?

How about the water table under Nevada, has anyone yet been able to drill and use that water for drinking?

Nevada Radiation | Nevada's hidden ocean of radiation - Los Angeles Times

Contaminated Water at Nevada Nuclear Site? - Fox News Video - FoxNews.com
Wow, even more alarmist hyperbole. Those links concern underground nuclear bomb test detonations that were done during the cold war era. That's got nothing at all to do with uranium mining.

On the other hand, it took me just a few seconds to dig up information about the Church Rock uranium mill spill. Now that is apropos, and I would ask proponents of the proposed mine to explain why such an ecological disaster which occurred over 30 years ago could never, ever, happen again here.

Like I say, the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. This state desperately needs new sources of income, but not if it risks an ecological disaster. The issues are undoubtedly complex, but need cool heads to evaluate it, not alarmist propaganda which actually weakens your case.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
quite an alarmist, sensational subject line, boompa....let's all research this a bit more on both sides and see the full story first........
This isn't the first time. McCain tried to push this through a few years ago and failed. I guess the GOP won't be happy until it's a radioactive landfill

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
What can you expect from a Flake?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Default Simply looking at the past

Alarmist or just looking back at the past to make a better future?

Are there “any” corporations that have cleaned up their ecological waste that they caused? Corporations are not always good citizens in their communities. Either by lack of knowledge at the time or by accident they can cause major environment issues that can not be reversed.

Just looking that the mining companies and the pollutants going into the streams nearby or the air is alarming. Libby Montana asbestos mining is another good place to rethink.

Asbestos Mining in Libby, MT - Malignant Mesothelioma Information
Welcome to Libby, Montana, the town that was poisoned | World news | The Observer

You can look at the mess that remains from the Valdez in Alaska. And the Gulf of Mexico isn’t cleaned up from the BP and their accidents that occurred. The environment remains harmed and the corporations have not completed the responsibilities of restoring the land and water back to what it was.

It will be interesting to see what happen with the Exxon/Mobile pipeline spill contaminating the land and water of the Yellowstone River in Montana? Corporations don’t clean up their mistakes and accidents.

Three Mile Island after 25 years is improved however remains unusable.

Three Mile Island still haunts U.S. nuclear industry - NYTimes.com
Three Mile Island: The Rest of the Story...

The Love Canal, then and now. A chemical waste accident that was dumped into the canal and the neighboring area caused numerous health issues and deaths. The failure of the corporation to be a good citizen and operate in the best interest of the public is not any different than the corporations of today and what many of them do.

Love Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Love Canal's Lethal Legacy Persists - ABC News
Scars linger in Love Canal - and former residents - USATODAY.com

And who cleans up the mess? Who pays for all these corporate failures?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM

So you're against all mining and oil drilling too? Well AksarbeN, you better log off your computer now, because it's built with all sorts of metals and elements that come from the ground, undoubtedly creating all sorts of environmental havoc. After all, you wouldn't want to be a hypocrite and support the very industries that you are against, would you? BTW, what's your house framing? Wood? In that case you're supporting decimation of the forests. Metal framing? No, can't have that because we're back to the mines. No house for you! No car either!

We're all in this together, AksarbeN. So far I hear all sorts of problems from you and no solutions. These are ALL federally regulated industries. Don't like it? Get involved and lobby for stricter controls. But an automatic knee jerk reaction any time the subject of a new mine, powerplant, oil-well, what-have-you, is proposed is hypocritical as long as you're living on this planet.

Again, lest I be misconstrued, I'm not for or against this mine. But I'm keeping an open mind as I learn more. If you have any specifics on the implementation of this mine, then I'm all ears. But as it sits, your arguments are simply FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) and are irrelevant to the topic.

Last edited by kdog; 07-08-2011 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona