Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

24 posts, read 87,223 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been planning to move there for some time now. We are both employed here where we live currently. Her job allows her to work remotely and therefore can work from whatever location/state. I, however, work for a company on-site and would have to find a new job there in AZ (unless I went full consulting again).

I am a Web Designer and UI/UX Designer and have well over 15 years of experience in the design and tech industry. A few years back, when we were first planning, I got an offer to relocate and work at a major institution in Flagstaff.. I had to decline because we were not ready and apparently the weather is about the same as it is here (not a selling point to the missus).

Here are my questions: Is there a strong market for Web Design, UI/UX Design, Graphic Design there? If so, what sectors are the strongest? Is the pay comparable to industry norms for my skill-set (I hear a lot about low pay there)? And in general, what is the overall job market like there?

I have done some searching and have not seen that much out there and what I have seen the same jobs listed over and over (like Uhaul, they either have high turnover for web designers or is trying to corner market, lol)... Maybe its just a recruiter technique or something... but it sure paints things in a not so optimistic color for my industry.

I have posted here before inquiring about how it would be to live there day-to-day and have gotten some good feedback. And have decided the only way one can really know something for sure is to become informed and then take that leap... But this board is addicting with all the different views..

Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah, my wife (who used to live there) says companies there are more likely to hire you if you live in the state - but I believe like most folks, don't move without a job lined up. Thoughts about the living there to get a job part?

Last edited by gecas29; 07-17-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Why not just go to Monster.com or DICE and pull up the listings?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I used to work for a printing/promo distributorship in the Phoenix area. This was over 5 years ago and we paid our graphic designer/CSR about $25,000 a year. The Art Institute of Phoenix and Al Collins Graphic Design School provide the area with a non-stop flow of cheap labor.

When I paid for graphic design the going rate 5-10 years ago was $50-$65 an hour and billed in 15 minute increments. This is a job you can do online easily, you may want to find some clients first to bring with you.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why not just go to Monster.com or DICE and pull up the listings?
I have gone to those and other job posting sites, but I am more looking for a "boots on the ground" point of view from anyone who knows about the health of the web design industry in AZ - and job market around it in general. I know where I live there are many of the "good" jobs that never get posted on those jobs sites... But thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I used to work for a printing/promo distributorship in the Phoenix area. This was over 5 years ago and we paid our graphic designer/CSR about $25,000 a year. The Art Institute of Phoenix and Al Collins Graphic Design School provide the area with a non-stop flow of cheap labor.

When I paid for graphic design the going rate 5-10 years ago was $50-$65 an hour and billed in 15 minute increments. This is a job you can do online easily, you may want to find some clients first to bring with you.
Thank you for your insight... I know its a smaller market out there and didn't think about the new grad cheap labor factor. Where I live the new grads are easily absorbed as interns Jr level designers... Sounds like there they get push in faster. Thanks again for your reply

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 AM

One of my old vendors did 24 hour turnaround on print jobs for print brokers and specialized in business cards. They have a whole crew of graphic designers that come in every day at 3-4:00PM and work until the wee hours of the morning cleaning up artwork. It's a crappy, fast paced job but because of the schools in the area they never run out of people to fill the positions.

Phoenix is a big hub of trade printing and printing in general. You may want to start poking around that industry and see what happens. One thing that I found is a lot of graphic designers just out of school knew how to design websites but had no clue how to design a print project in a way that would logically fit on a printing press. Simple things like knowing if a page bleeds you need to leave room to grip the sheet someplace. Or knowing how many pieces fit on a parent sheet in a way to get the most pieces and leave little to waste.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
One of my old vendors did 24 hour turnaround on print jobs for print brokers and specialized in business cards. They have a whole crew of graphic designers that come in every day at 3-4:00PM and work until the wee hours of the morning cleaning up artwork. It's a crappy, fast paced job but because of the schools in the area they never run out of people to fill the positions.

Phoenix is a big hub of trade printing and printing in general. You may want to start poking around that industry and see what happens. One thing that I found is a lot of graphic designers just out of school knew how to design websites but had no clue how to design a print project in a way that would logically fit on a printing press. Simple things like knowing if a page bleeds you need to leave room to grip the sheet someplace. Or knowing how many pieces fit on a parent sheet in a way to get the most pieces and leave little to waste.
Thanks for the insight as to AZ being more of a traditional design hub. I can recall the days of production work... When I last worked in print as an Art Director we worked directly with the printers to layout, finish, and make sure each sheet is used correctly. I think the days when the designer has to worry about the bleeds and costs of full sheets and fading. But, I was working for ad agencies and they might have gotten the kit glove treatment for complex jobs.

My interns knew nothing about how to design a web site... correctly. They were using Adobe Illustrator to do page layout.. that might work for some, but the web is not vector and you are better off working in a raster tool like Photoshop. IMO. And I wont mention the lack of coding skills. So, maybe schools are better or new grads pick up production work and there is a core "skilled" team that has the real jobs.. dunno.

I hear Scottsdale is the tech area... ?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Keep in mind that I got out of the print biz in Phoenix 5 years ago, so don't know what the current lay of the land is like. I did not have to compete with design it yourself printing from Vistaprint which bypasses the need for a designer altogether. Phoenix also had a bunch of oddball print shops that sold nationwide. They did business form/integrated label combos, or another one did business forms with a built in tag. So if you have a unique skill that may help you as well. Never did anything for ad agencies, they all knew how to go direct to the trade printers. So can't help you in that realm. One last thing to check is that there used to be some big screen printers in the area, they always need artwork cleaned up and color separated.

I'm moving back to Phoenix in August, selling print or any other graphic services is not on top of my list to return to. But if I run into something up your alley I can send you a PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that I got out of the print biz in Phoenix 5 years ago, so don't know what the current lay of the land is like. I did not have to compete with design it yourself printing from Vistaprint which bypasses the need for a designer altogether. Phoenix also had a bunch of oddball print shops that sold nationwide. They did business form/integrated label combos, or another one did business forms with a built in tag. So if you have a unique skill that may help you as well. Never did anything for ad agencies, they all knew how to go direct to the trade printers. So can't help you in that realm. One last thing to check is that there used to be some big screen printers in the area, they always need artwork cleaned up and color separated.

I'm moving back to Phoenix in August, selling print or any other graphic services is not on top of my list to return to. But if I run into something up your alley I can send you a PM.

Thank you for the info! And thank you for the offer to keep an eye out when you move back - really nice of you.

While I have worked for many years designing and art directing for print, my expertise is in designing and coding websites, and more recently developing user interfaces (UI) and usability patterns for web based applications. Maybe you are thinking the "web" printing process as in offset printing? I love print but I have spent the better part of the last 15yrs working on websites and application design.

Thanks again and sorry for any confusion

Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Formal trained and experienced web designers were in high demand and short supply prior to the 2008-09 employment crash. From a HR/recruiter stand point - your wife is correct. Many employers will not consider a candidate unless local. Phoenix is a very transient city - lots of people come here to re-invent themselves. Also, work-home commuting is a HUGE concern for employers too.

That said - get your resume together with a portfolio of design work. A meta-site such as www.indeed.com can be a good sourcing tool. There are many boutique IT shops in the Valley too.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Formal trained and experienced web designers were in high demand and short supply prior to the 2008-09 employment crash. From a HR/recruiter stand point - your wife is correct. Many employers will not consider a candidate unless local. Phoenix is a very transient city - lots of people come here to re-invent themselves. Also, work-home commuting is a HUGE concern for employers too.

That said - get your resume together with a portfolio of design work. A meta-site such as www.indeed.com can be a good sourcing tool. There are many boutique IT shops in the Valley too.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply... I kind of figured that the fact that AZ is a transient city I would have a better chance at opportunities with an address there... The employment crash seems that have had a big impact - more than here in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey89 View Post
have you found a job now?good luck
I have not put in any applications as of yet... but I will update this as to what I'm seeing.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona