Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I am no lawyer.
But I do know of many snowbirds who do this all of the time.
Is it legal?
Depends on where and how long car is "garaged" in AZ.
I don't think that the driver's license is so important but the car registration/emissions/insurance do matter more.

If you are a permanent resident then all should be Arizona.
I believe DMV's requirements are 7 months/year to be required to register as an AZ resident. Snowbirds circumvent this by living here for 6 months and 29 days before leaving in May so they can drive around here with their Alberta and Iowa plates with no issues.

Last edited by magnum0417; 09-13-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
You would be correct, but this is a California Resident trying to cheat the system in California. It has nothing to do with Snowbirds.

If you read the OP's other posts, you will see they are making a hobby out of cheating the system wherever they go.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 AM

21 posts, read 46,944 times
I'm not sure how I'm cheating the system. If the state of Arizona will allow me to register a vehicle without requiring me to hold an Arizona driver's license, then it's totally within legal limits for me to do so. My question was, is that actually the case or do I have to establish residence in AZ? Because if the latter is the case, then I'll just not register in AZ because I have no intention to actually live in AZ.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolck510 View Post
I'm not sure how I'm cheating the system. If the state of Arizona will allow me to register a vehicle without requiring me to hold an Arizona driver's license, then it's totally within legal limits for me to do so. My question was, is that actually the case or do I have to establish residence in AZ? Because if the latter is the case, then I'll just not register in AZ because I have no intention to actually live in AZ.
If "no intention to actually live in Arizona" then what would be your "legitimate" reason or reasons to register your vehicle in Arizona . . . Emission Testing, Taxes or . . . ?

Just curious, Zolck . . . where is the vehicle being garaged? More to the point, where does your insurance company "believe" the vehicle is being garaged?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:

One usually registers a car where it is being driven, on at least a partial year basis. You are planning to register a car in Arizona in order to circumvent California's more stringent emissions standards (and perhaps higher fees), and then drive it in California as a California resident. While you might be able to register it here, you may also get reported in California for being a resident and driving an out of state registered vehicle. And, the cure for that is to register it in California (there's probably a fine involved too).

What's technically legal in AZ may not pass muster in CA. It's their system you are cheating.

As far as your original question, why don't you just call the Arizona DMV and ASK?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:

That would be cheating the system. if you can't see that, we can't help you.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You are planning to register a car in Arizona in order to circumvent California's more stringent emissions standards (and perhaps higher fees), and then drive it in California as a California resident. While you might be able to register it here, you may also get reported in California for being a resident and driving an out of state registered vehicle.
And California has a program to report scofflaws.

Report Vehicles with Out-of-State License Plates to the CHP

Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 AM

155 posts, read 347,956 times
Quote:
Good luck. You are one ticket away from being nailed. California will get you if you do any of the following:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 46,944 times
In number of months, my car spends about 3 in CA, 2 in UT, 2 in CO, 2 in TX, 2 in BC (Canada), and the other 1 getting to/from those places in a year. It's just that it still needs to be registered somewhere and I really don't care where, be it Alabama or Montana. CA would have been the simplest because at least I have a PO Box there. Anyway, the car is better than expected and I got CA tags yesterday. Thanks for all the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona