Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times

Advertisements

When moving from another state to Arizona, what is the law for transferring a license? Is it a simple transfer, do you have to take a written test, or do you have to take an actual driving test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM

219 posts, read 448,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
When moving from another state to Arizona, what is the law for transferring a license? Is it a simple transfer, do you have to take a written test, or do you have to take an actual driving test?

Here's a link that should help you: New Arizona Resident Guide: License, Registration, Address Change | DMV.org

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
THANKS! That link is VERY helpful.

It stated the one thing I was hoping to hear: "If you hold a current out-of-state license, you will likely be able to forego the written knowledge test and driving tests required for licensing in Arizona (although the MVD does not make any guarantees). "

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM

That's what we thought too when we read that. The only place we've had to take a written test was CA. What a pain in the butt place it is!!!! We were originally going to relocate back there because our kids are there, but decided to not get back to the rat-race, over-crowding, smog, expense, and hassle. When we moved here to PA from TX, we didn't have to take a test....just went in, got our pictures taken, gave them our DL from TX (they punched a hole in it and gave it back to us) and we were done. Cost to register our cars was $36/each I dread writing that check to AZ...YIKES. It costs more to register your car in AZ than it does in CA and I thought that was bad.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Turn in your out of state license to the AZ DMV, take an eye test (though I'm not sure they always ask you to) pay the $10 for the AZ license and that its. You do not need to take a written test, as long as your out of state license has not expired.

Car Registration is rather expensive in Arizona. Actually other than housing and property tax, I have no clue as to why people think AZ is a low COL. Add up everything involved with living there. Year round utility bills that get very high for a good 5 months at least. All the gas you buy because of all the driving involved with living there. Very high sales tax on just about everything and then some, plus the state has an income tax. Wonderful state but I am baffled as to, where the cheap place to live mentality comes from. However that AZ license is only going to cost you $10, and that is cheap.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Jimrob1...by the time I got done doing a comparison of COL between PA (where we live now) and AZ, it's about the same. I believe your gasoline is cheaper than ours, though. Ours is $3.89/gal. right now. Your property taxes are WAY cheaper than ours. However, we don't pay any state taxes on my husbands pension. We pay 6% sales tax. You pay for electric like we pay for gas to heat with, so all-in-all, it comes out about the same. It's still cheaper (slightly) to live in AZ than it is in CA.

The only place we found that was REALLY cheap to live was TX, but I hated it there

We're not relocating to AZ because we know we can save $$$ (because we can't), we're moving because of the dry climate and we'll only be 4 hours away from our kids in CA instead of 2200 miles away.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
Jimrob1...by the time I got done doing a comparison of COL between PA (where we live now) and AZ, it's about the same. I believe your gasoline is cheaper than ours, though. Ours is $3.89/gal. right now. Your property taxes are WAY cheaper than ours. However, we don't pay any state taxes on my husbands pension. We pay 6% sales tax. You pay for electric like we pay for gas to heat with, so all-in-all, it comes out about the same. It's still cheaper (slightly) to live in AZ than it is in CA.

The only place we found that was REALLY cheap to live was TX, but I hated it there

We're not relocating to AZ because we know we can save $$$ (because we can't), we're moving because of the dry climate and we'll only be 4 hours away from our kids in CA instead of 2200 miles away.

Yes you summed it up quite well. It is cheaper in AZ but not by much, at least now days anyway. I guess it use to be a lot cheaper some years back. Texas is a cheaper state, though not everyone is going to take to living there.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 PM

296 posts, read 364,192 times
It was crazy easy when I went because I had a valid license from another state. No eye test for me. Snapped my picture. The license is valid until you are 65 which is boggling. Make sure you have a prepare for your picture. You will be stuck with it a while! =D

Registering the car in Arizona on the other hand was more difficult because of the emissions testing on my older vehicle.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Ans what happens at age 65, or if you move into Arizona after becoming 65? How is it different?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,305 times
they changed it, now they are only good for 5 years. I believe what happens when you are 65 is that you have to take the test but I could be wrong. You also need a birth certificate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona