Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rainfall in Phoenix and the deserts has very little impact on water supply issues. The areas of interest are east of the city in the White Mountains and part of the Rim country and, especially, the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains that are the watershed of the Colorado River. The Colorado River watershed had above normal precip and runoff this past winter. What matters is winter rains, too, not the summer monsoon which contributes very little to storage. Furthermore, the Phoenix area has vast, vast groundwater reserves that would last many decades even without the Colorado and Salt river surface supplies. The popular notion that there is an impending water shortage in the Phoenix area is utter nonsense.

Note that I am talking about the Phoenix area. The water supply picture for other areas in AZ including the city of Tucson is not as rosy. Each area has unique issues and challenges that are far too complex to discuss in this format. The takeaway, though, is that people considering Phoenix have little to be concerned about.

I was hoping you would chime in on this again as I remember a thread a few years ago where you outlined most of the same as above,I couldn't find it in a search though. Coming from an area where we get more than enough rain/snow and flooding along the rivers are more of a concern,it's been somewhat of a concern of ours about the water situation in the SW. Thanks for the re-assurance, now I can go back to stressing about other things pertaining to this future move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM

266 posts, read 286,572 times
Quote:
Rainfall in Phoenix and the deserts has very little impact on water supply issues. The areas of interest are east of the city in the White Mountains and part of the Rim country and, especially, the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains that are the watershed of the Colorado River. The Colorado River watershed had above normal precip and runoff this past winter. What matters is winter rains, too, not the summer monsoon which contributes very little to storage. Furthermore, the Phoenix area has vast, vast groundwater reserves that would last many decades even without the Colorado and Salt river surface supplies. The popular notion that there is an impending water shortage in the Phoenix area is utter nonsense.

Note that I am talking about the Phoenix area. The water supply picture for other areas in AZ including the city of Tucson is not as rosy. Each area has unique issues and challenges that are far too complex to discuss in this format. The takeaway, though, is that people considering Phoenix have little to be concerned about.
Oh O.K. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Good Info Ponderosa, thanks.

I do wonder, though, why more residents aren't mindful of their water usage. I know the golf courses and the cities use non-potable or reclaimed water for their landscaping. But you see people leaving water running while washing their cars, or using water instead of a broom to clean off a sidewalk, there are businesses who have sprinkler systems spraying all over the sidewalk instead of on their grass... it's crazy. There's no consciousness in Phoenix about how precious water is. "You don't know what you got till it's gone..."

I have a great poster from despair.com that says, "No one raindrop thinks it's responsible for the flood."

Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,943 times
The neighborhood we live in have wells that average 600' deep, and sometimes the wells can't keep up so they need to have water delivered to their storage tanks. We just have a 2500 gal tank and haul water. We have learned to conserve and only use 65 gal/day between the two of us. When you pay .03/gal you learn to conserve!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Good Info Ponderosa, thanks.

I do wonder, though, why more residents aren't mindful of their water usage. I know the golf courses and the cities use non-potable or reclaimed water for their landscaping. But you see people leaving water running while washing their cars, or using water instead of a broom to clean off a sidewalk, there are businesses who have sprinkler systems spraying all over the sidewalk instead of on their grass... it's crazy. There's no consciousness in Phoenix about how precious water is. "You don't know what you got till it's gone..."

I have a great poster from despair.com that says, "No one raindrop thinks it's responsible for the flood."
I have to agree with you on the people of Phoenix at least. It is totally different in Tucson and many other communities where water conservation is a religion to many residents. No matter how well supplied we are, we still have little room for waste. It's not just us city slickers, though. You have to really question the wisdom of growing water hogs like cotton and alfalfa in an area where water can be conserved and preserved for much higher beneficial uses. But water is cheap, appropriated, and it is economical to do so even if it makes little sense.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
They grow alfalfa in AZ because they harvest it 12 times a year.
Cotton grows, but in the same year they grow corn or grain on the same land, it eventually ends up in your stomach. So, if you would like to set an example by not eating, go right ahead.....

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
The real issue is to many people came here each person uses a lot of water showers flushing toilets washing cloths. Too much building produced cheap housing home builders gave little thought to water usages or traffic jams.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Good point about the waste. It bothers me too when I see water running out in the streets, and broken sprinklers spraying everything but the lawns. That is nothing more than pure carelessness. At the same time, there are the ones on the extreme end of the scale who want to rip out every grass lawn in the Phoenix area, and/or impose stiff fines on anybody with non native greenery. Those Communist dictator types are often newer transplants, and don't realize that Phoenix has always been a green oasis. Only in more recent years have the newer developments switched to more natural or rock landscaping instead of grass ... which I personally find to be very unappealing because there is nothing cool or refreshing about crushed rocks or cactus. Grass lawns with shade and trees are much more inviting, and actually help reduce the temperatures a bit, especially at night.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Could not agree more it seems the folks coming from cold parts of the country like MN, or IL that grew up in areas where trees and grass grow everywhere in the summer love the dry rocks and hot weather more. Probably are sick of taking care of lawns and raking piles of leaves all summer long. I have grass in the front and back just don't like the look of stucco and grass

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Well, it was all facts and you can believe it or not. I spent 40 years working in water resources engineering in the southwestern US. I have a very good understanding of the water situation. Your own link bore me out that it was a good year on the Colorado this year. The big problem is that the situation is far too complex to discuss in detail in this forum setting. So do your own research, from respected sources, and you will find that what I said, anyone contemplating a move to Phoenix does not have anything to worry about with regard to water supply for the long foreseeable future (many decades) is completely accurate. Be advised though. The picture is not as rosy in much of the state as it is in Phoenix, and there are places in the state that are experiencing problems today and they could well get worse.
How is the situation for California's ag business and area? - Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona