Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 AM

87 posts, read 116,218 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have screened in porches or patios how do you deal with the winds and dust storms that blow in from time to time? We may buy a house that has a screened in patio but my worry is that any furniture we put in there would be covered in dust during one of these storms. Do you have special covers to fit the screens, install plastic sheeting, or what? The inside wall of the addition is the house and the house has screened in ends so 3 of the sides are screened in. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
The dust does get in, believe me. You can cover the furniture, but then you have dusty covers. The newer Arizona room type structures you see at home shows now have solid windows, glass or Plexiglas or what, I don't know. I don't want to clean those, either. My home has an Arizona room just as you describe, with a raised planter along two sides. I liked it many years ago, but not so much now. First chance I get, I'm tearing it out and redesigning a regular open covered pation.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:51 AM

455 posts, read 1,498,674 times
Dust is a fact of life in Az. We had an Az room like the one you describe. We used it as an extension of the living room and used the heck out of it. It did need to be dusted after a storm, but so would any patio furniture that is outside.

Curly

Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
The screens are kinda redundant here(imho), because we don't have that many flying bugs.

If it were me, I'd treat it like any other patio & pull the cushions inside if you're not around.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
I have a 21 x 14 foot deck in my backyard in Alabama. I'm in the process of having it fully screened in and it's looking great! My house faces north / south so the backyard deck is in full sun from the time it comes up until the time it goes down.... and it gets HOT in Alabama in the summertime!

We're having it built and they are doing a great job. It's time consuming but it's now covered and should be done soon... I can't wait for THAT day... my driveway is a mess...

Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Ah yes...

Welcome to Arizona! Dust we will always have with us.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
Dust is a fact of life in Az. We had an Az room like the one you describe. We used it as an extension of the living room and used the heck out of it. It did need to be dusted after a storm, but so would any patio furniture that is outside.

Curly

The difference is, the screens get really dirty, too, and get to a point where they never look clean. And, it's harder to hose out than just hosing off a patio.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I have a 21 x 14 foot deck in my backyard in Alabama. I'm in the process of having it fully screened in and it's looking great! My house faces north / south so the backyard deck is in full sun from the time it comes up until the time it goes down.... and it gets HOT in Alabama in the summertime!

We're having it built and they are doing a great job. It's time consuming but it's now covered and should be done soon... I can't wait for THAT day... my driveway is a mess...
Not so much dust in AL. They make sense there, like the screen covers over the pools in FL, to keep out bugs.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
I believe Screened In Arizona Rooms are a waste of money, way overrated and nothing but a carry-over from Florida where Flying Critters outnumber humans by millions.

As for Daiseypup's original question about dust . . . A VACUUM CLEANER, the bigger the better.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:59 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I believe Screened In Arizona Rooms are a waste of money, way overrated and nothing but a carry-over from Florida where Flying Critters outnumber humans by millions.
I screened my patio for 2 reasons. I can let my cat go and nap outside. It also keeps rattlers from coming into the patio. There have been a number of rattlers in my development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona