Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times

Advertisements

So here is my dilemma. My wife and I plan to retire in a few years, and we will be purchasing a small home/condo in AZ. We plan on staying in AZ for roughly 4 months out of the year:July, August, September and October. The rest of the time we will be living in Florida, where we have our permanent home. Although we may head over to AZ in between those times, for Christmas or New Years, but only for a week or two at a time.
I am totally unsure of how we will be taxed. From what I have read, here is what I have gleaned:
1) We can keep our vehicles registered in Florida since that is our primary residence.
2) I have to pay state income tax for the time I reside in AZ (even though it is a few months), and this will be off a pension I receive from the state of Florida.

It's #2 I am totally clueless about. Are out of state pensions taxed by AZ? If so, is it correct that I must still file a state return in AZ? I am filing one federal return each year, and since there are no state taxes in FL, I only have to complete one from AZ, if that is correct...but I heard from others that there are tax issues with retirement income in AZ as well..

Is anyone in the same situation and can help me understand all this? Reading the IRS forms gives me a major headache and they are sometimes not worded in a way a layperson can understand them.
Thanks!
We are also looking into Utah, so I am assuming the laws would be the same there...unless someone knows about that too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Naturally, your best bet is to contact a tax professional, but this is available on line :
ARIZONA INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX PROCEDURE ITP 92-1 PROCEDURE FOR DETERMINING RESIDENCY STATUS.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
rich67, I believe you will find that so long as you spend under seven (7) months total per calendar year in AZ you will not be taxed by that state. None the less, you should read the AZ tax dept's views on the subject, just to be sure.

Rich

Old 11-14-2015, 08:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
A search on Google using "arizona department of revenue income tax procedure itp 92-1" will get you your answers.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:57 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Naturally, your best bet is to contact a tax professional, but this is available on line :
ARIZONA INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX PROCEDURE ITP 92-1 PROCEDURE FOR DETERMINING RESIDENCY STATUS.

Regards
Gemstone1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
A search on Google using "arizona department of revenue income tax procedure itp 92-1" will get you your answers.

Gemstone already posted the link, above.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
thank you all for the responses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona