Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times

Advertisements

My 86 year old mom is visiting and we'd like to go away for the Memorial Day weekend. She's in better shape than most 86 year olds in that she works out about 5 times a week but major hiking or anything too strenuous is out. Also, she had a triple bypass 6 months ago.

We don't want to cross the border so it has to be in the US, and drivable from the Verde Valley.

Any ideas on where to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 AM

114 posts, read 204,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
My 86 year old mom is visiting and we'd like to go away for the Memorial Day weekend. She's in better shape than most 86 year olds in that she works out about 5 times a week but major hiking or anything too strenuous is out. Also, she had a triple bypass 6 months ago.

We don't want to cross the border so it has to be in the US, and drivable from the Verde Valley.

I suggest a drive up Mount Lemmon, stopping at some of the pullouts like "7 Cataracts", "Windy Point Vista", etc... have lunch at Sawmill in Summerhaven or at Iron Door at Ski Valley, then on up to the parking lot just before the observatory. Everyone I've taken up there loves the experience.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

How about taking the train from Williams, AZ, to and from the Grand Canyon? She might really enjoy the experience, not to mention the great sights!

Grand Canyon Railway | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona

Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM

Thanks, two good suggestions so far.

I was also thinking Canyon de Chelly, San Diego, Scottsdale or Phoenix for shopping but am open to any and all suggestions.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
How about taking the train from Williams, AZ, to and from the Grand Canyon? She might really enjoy the experience, not to mention the great sights!

Grand Canyon Railway | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona
I agree with Colt on this one . . .

A leisure drive to Williams and spend the night at The Train Hotel (sorry, cannot remember the name). The Train departs about 9AM for the Grand Canyon with plenty of time for Sightseeing and Lunch. Back to The Train Hotel about 5'ish which is ample time to drive home or spend the night for a more leisurely drive home the next day.

I believe the local AAA has brochures and offers some excellent packages including a First Class Upgrade which is well worth the splurge.

WOW, just thinking about it makes me want to go again. Good Luck.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM

114 posts, read 204,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree with Colt on this one . . .

A leisure drive to Williams and spend the night at The Train Hotel (sorry, cannot remember the name). The Train departs about 9AM for the Grand Canyon with plenty of time for Sightseeing and Lunch. Back to The Train Hotel about 5'ish which is ample time to drive home or spend the night for a more leisurely drive home the next day.

I believe the local AAA has brochures and offers some excellent packages including a First Class Upgrade which is well worth the splurge.

WOW, just thinking about it makes me want to go again. Good Luck.
Yeah, I like this idea too. I stopped in Williams last year prior to hiking the Canyon and it is a neat, quirky town with many restaurant options. Never taken the train but bet it is a good experience and then the Canyon...everyone should see that at least once.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM

She has been to the Grand Canyon but I will check with her on this idea.

Any others?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:05 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
You could go look at nursing homes and cemetaries, just in case.

I'd be more inclined to keep it local and simple. Sedona art galleries. Maybe a trip to Beaver Creek and a short hike? At 86 we may be active but after an hour in the car it's time for a nap.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You could go look at nursing homes and cemetaries, just in case.

I'd be more inclined to keep it local and simple. Sedona art galleries. Maybe a trip to Beaver Creek and a short hike? At 86 we may be active but after an hour in the car it's time for a nap.

She wants to go somewhere for 2 or 3 nights....she's not like your average 86 year old, even after triple bypass. She does not want to hike though. Last visit we went to Vegas and would go back if it was earlier in the year.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 PM

She doesn't want to go to the Grand Canyon, she feels like once is enough and she's been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona