Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:06 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

I am new to Arizona but my first impression of Sen. McCain is that will do anything - including stabbing his colleagues in the back - to get in front of the camera.

Also, the minute that ANYONE criticizes him on his political stands, the McCain choir brings up the fact that he was a POW.

I think that after 30 years, it is time for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Why doesn't AZ have term limits on senators? McCain has been in office since the 1980s. At least 2 terms that are 4-6 years should be the max.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:35 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am new to Arizona but my first impression of Sen. McCain is that will do anything - including stabbing his colleagues in the back - to get in front of the camera.
That has long been my impression as well.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
His job is to make things better for the people of Arizona and America, not to fight against everything the far right disagrees with.

He was censured by the far right PC's. They are not the average Republicans.

Yes! I can't stand this. You don't have to bow down to your party at every step. Stand up for the people you represent and don't worry about your party. This goes for both sides of the aisle.

But to address the OP, McCain lost me when he sold out Oak Flat and snuck it in a military bill.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 10,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I'm a left of center Democrat and would have voted for McCain over Gore in 2000. After Palin, no way, although I'm hoping Meghan will run for office.
McCain didn't run in 2000 against Gore..that was George W...Although McCain was in the primary against George W and dropped out. McCain ran against Obama in 2008 and lost.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:31 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmwxrules View Post
McCain didn't run in 2000 against Gore..that was George W...Although McCain was in the primary against George W and dropped out. McCain ran against Obama in 2008 and lost.
I think he's referencing if McCain won the primary.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:18 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
My Tea Party father does not like McCain. My father, who has been living in Phoenix his entire life, I know for a fact voted for him when he ran for President but I suspect he aligns more with the newer Republicans. He seems to really like Trump, I know he voted for Trump in the primaries. But I think my father views McCain as a sellout or a phony aka a RINO.

However my dad doesn't seem to be the one who aligns with most "newer" Republicans these days. I know he's ok with his brother, who is openly gay, and he condemns religion on the regular. So I don't think McCain carries a lot of appeal to straight-ticket Republicans anymore if he ever used to. I don't talk to my father a lot on politics since we are so polar opposite on most issues. I don't want to mix family and politics.

My opinion of McCain is that he needs to go. He is one of the longest-running senators in history and he's just been in his position for way too long. I agree with term limits and I will not be voting for him when it comes time. Other than I think he's been a senator for too long, I don't really have a solid opinion of his actions as I haven't researched him, though I do not suspect I would have liked him anyway as someone who is left-leaning.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:17 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post

Yes! I can't stand this. You don't have to bow down to your party at every step. Stand up for the people you represent and don't worry about your party. This goes for both sides of the aisle.

But to address the OP, McCain lost me when he sold out Oak Flat and snuck it in a military bill.
What is Oak Flat?

Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"What is Oak Flat?" this is Oak Flat.

Here is a Differing viewpoint

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
McCain is an old school Reagan Republican and is not one of the newer Evangelical Tea Party Republicans ie "Redneck Republicans" (see Ted Cruz) that you currently envision. He is a moderate and centrist by modern standards. He is a good person and it is sad that these new "Redneck Republicans" are throwing him under the bus.

But yes, McCain is a politician. And like all politicians, self preservation is necessary. All politicians engage in this regardless of party and will say anything to win. Remember Hillary voted for the Iraq war so she wouldn't come accross as being weak on national defense and Obama claimed marriage was between a man and a woman when he ran for President only to change his tune during his re-election. So they all play to voters. I don't think that is unique to McCain so any criticism of him for this is unfair. If you are going to call him out for that then you will need to call out every other politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: