Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

144 posts, read 169,070 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving from CA to Arizona in second week of April. We have 2009 Camry, which we will keep in new state. I have registration and Insurance (Mercury) valid till May. Please help me to understand, if I am understanding it correctly. I will need to -
- Apply for AZ license (written test as well behind the wheel)
- Registration of vehicle (have to go in person to DMV)
- I will get new license plate

Am I missing anything or sequence ?
Can I wait till one month after reaching in AZ and then start this process ?
Do I need to do anything before my movement from CA ?

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
If you have a drivers license already, you don't need a written or a road test to obtain an AZ drivers license. You'll just go to the MVD, apply for a drivers license and register your car. They'll give you your new license and plate right then and there.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks.
I need to book an online appointment to go to MVD (as we do in CA) ?
Do I need to register immediately after reaching there or I will have some time frame ?
Its a dumb question, but what should I do with CA license plate ? Just throw it ?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 4,517,371 times
the mvd will take your california plates when you register your car

Old 03-15-2015, 04:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheks77 View Post
Hello,

We are moving from CA to Arizona in second week of April. We have 2009 Camry, which we will keep in new state. I have registration and Insurance (Mercury) valid till May. Please help me to understand, if I am understanding it correctly. I will need to -

Regards
Seriously, Abhisheks . . . I have a feeling you are in for a pleasant surprise.

Although it has been a few years since I relocated from California to Arizona, I remember how pleasant my entire experience at the Arizona MVD was compared to the fiascos at the DMV in California.

Plan on a couple of hours to lessen any stress . . . take all of your paperwork plus the vehicle to the local MVD (AFTER visiting the nearest Emission Testing Facility if required) and you will walk away with a New Title, New Plates and much less out of wallet expenses than expected.

WELCOME and Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
First step drive car from Cali to AZ. After you cross the river, stop, get on your knees and kiss the land of freedom. Then face the settng sun and flip the bird to the west.

Go to DMV late on a Wednesday, unless you are in Phoenix there will be little wait. Present CA DL, fill out form, take eye test, get photo. Give auto reg and ins. They may or may not go look at it, depending on where you are. Pay $$ take plate (one plate) affix to car. DL will come in mail.

Then go outside, count the money you saved and shout FREEDOM!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:16 PM

Thanks a lot.
I am much relaxed and happy now :-)

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
I am much relaxed and happy now :-)
Another biggee, Abhisheks . . .

After your initial visit to the Arizona MVD and you become an official Arizonian, most, if not all, of your future transactions are easily performed on their website.

It has been years since I have needed to visit the MVD.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,451 times
Quote:
Hello,

Regards
Coming from out of state you will have to take an emissions test first. Locations can be found here.

Phoenix Area Locations | Arizona Department of Environmental Quality

It's $27 you pay at the emissions center and in my experience, as long as you don't have a major exhaust leak or check engine light, you'll pass.

You'll be fine for a month with your California plates. When I moved here I kept my CA registration til it expired (it was like 6 months, no issues). You don't have to take a driving test, just swap out your license for an az license. Registration is way cheaper here. Car insurance is quite a bit more though, at least coming from San Diego.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks a lot elcajones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona