Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 02:57 PM

672 posts, read 443,051 times

Advertisements

All of you working people are paying for medicare. Shall we get rid of that as well and let you financially prepare for medical insurance in retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I would be fully against this.

AZ makes plenty of senior and snow bird accommodations already. Property taxes here are low as it is.

There is no need to strip more revenue from the state.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
All of you working people are paying for medicare. Shall we get rid of that as well and let you financially prepare for medical insurance in retirement?
Bad argument. As a senior there’s already healthcare heavily subsidized as well as a pension (social security) subsidized by all working folks for LIFE. As much as I feel their pain, I have to draw the line somewhere and people will need to take some sort of financial responsibility and not rely on the working population to keep them alive and pay for all living costs because of their poor life choices.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Less money for cronies.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:16 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
American Dream Act AZ working to be on 2020 ballot

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-new...enior-citizens
It would be a draw for retirees that's for sure. I retired just under a month ago although I have a few years before I hit 65 and the house I own here in Washington state property tax has increased at least $1K per year for the 3 years I've owned it so we wonder about where this is going to lead to. Now we would like to put in a pool possibly and other upgrades but know it's only going to result in higher property taxes.

We already own 3 houses in Arizona, one of which we intend to winter in starting next winter now that I'm retired. If Arizona passes this measure, we would probably buy or build a better (more expensive) house in Arizona and downsize our Washington house due to kids and grandkids in Seattle and eastern Washington.

I understand those that are opposed to it but it would generate more wealthy elderly moving to Arizona

Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
It would also generate more people abusing the system without paying into the resources they use

Our tax rates are already low.

You say your WA taxes are up $3k over 3 years....... How much are you paying on your 3 homes here combined?

Probably less than that single WA home

Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It would also generate more people abusing the system without paying into the resources they use

Our tax rates are already low.

You say your WA taxes are up $3k over 3 years....... How much are you paying on your 3 homes here combined?

Probably less than that single WA home
The combined prop tax on the 3 houses in Arizona are slightly higher than my house in Washington state...people here tend to vote on every bond initiatives on the ballot to upgrade the schools and other public projects and I normally do vote to increase prop taxes for the schools when on the ballot. Now that I'm recently retired and no longer drawing a nice salary, I can see property taxes becoming a significant issue over the next 20 years if it keeps rising....wife is very aggravated the taxes have risen so much in just 3 years after we bought the house.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:17 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Property taxes have destroyed PA, NJ, OH, and NY. At a certain point, real estate can have a negative value, just like a timeshare. Seniors don't have any kids in the schools, and that is a bottomless pit. Seems like it would be a good way to keep the local governments in check, and help the younger residents realize the negative effects of taxes.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I normally do vote to increase prop taxes for the schools when on the ballot. [....] wife is very aggravated the taxes have risen so much in just 3 years after we bought the house.
Your first statement is the direct cause of your second statement.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
That's three words and why do you hate senior citizens?
Why do we need to cater to them? Where’s my exemption? I’m already keeping their SS (something that’ll be long gone by the time I retire) going, now I gotta subsidize their housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona