Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
That would be silly. Mine are now 10 years old, and have paid for themselves. 20 years is just too long. They must have eliminated some subsidies?
I used the numbers that were provided by the company that was trying to sell them to me. Why would they understate the savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I used the numbers that were provided by the company that was trying to sell them to me. Why would they understate the savings.
Of they wouldn't. When I installed in 2009 after the crash solar was my single best investment prospect. Roughly 10% tax free while raising the value of your house.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM

192 posts, read 133,606 times
We moved from California where our cost per kwh was about $.37 and our bills were routinely in the $500-$1000 per month range. Solar made complete sense and the roi was only a few years. We moved to AZ where the kWh cost was a fraction of what we paid before. It would take way too long to recoup the investment here for us and in the meantime, our electricity bills are very reasonable. Not much incentive to put up all that money at this point. We can sit back and wait until solar improves and get the latest technology when it makes sense for us.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceteague View Post
Checking into Arizona for retirement and am seeing higher than CA utility rates and no solar on roofs? Seems odd. What am I missing.
Maybe a little more info would be helpful. Are you buying or renting? Apartment, condo, or house? What city?
If you don’t find solar, you’re not looking very hard.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
re solar, let me ask. Alot of these AZ yards seem to have lots of open space... have we thought about putting solar panels across part or even much of the backyard, maybe stood up about 3-5 feet off the ground, and could that be a good way to put panels up without disrupting your roof and make it easier to upgrade to new technologies ?

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
re solar, let me ask. Alot of these AZ yards seem to have lots of open space... have we thought about putting solar panels across part or even much of the backyard, maybe stood up about 3-5 feet off the ground, and could that be a good way to put panels up without disrupting your roof and make it easier to upgrade to new technologies ?
It is uncommonly done. Mostly because of aesthetics. I have a friend that did 14KW that way on a hidden slope.

Of course utilities do it that way.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Does your HOA allow that?

I think you will find that solar won't be worth the money invested. APS changed the net metering rules a few years back. People who already had solar were grandfathered in. If you switch to solar now, APS puts you on a Time-of-Use plan, which means that from 3 to 8 pm, you'll be paying through the nose for electricity.

https://www.sunrun.com/solar-by-stat...port-rate-plan

Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Interesting, thanks Fluffy.

HOA doesn't seem to specifically forbid that... I read pretty much every line, and I presume they could decline to approve the proposal, but again, nothing in the HOA rules call out such a solar panel construction as verboten.

But good to know about the rate plan... will learn about it.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks Fluffy.

HOA doesn't seem to specifically forbid that... I read pretty much every line, and I presume they could decline to approve the proposal, but again, nothing in the HOA rules call out such a solar panel construction as verboten.

But good to know about the rate plan... will learn about it.
It has been a law for a few years now at least in AZ that HOA's cannot rule against residential solar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona