Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 10:03 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times

Advertisements

If you live in Arizona, its going to happen to you sooner or later..Good article to keep handy, just in case..

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...in-your-throat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 931,532 times
Yes all of a sudden tweezers have become very useful in AZ:
Purpose 1: pick up scorpions for various purposes. I have gotten good at picking up by their tails.
Purpose 2: pick out cactus barbs.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM

are you still seeing lots of scorps? I haven't seen one in quite a while..

Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 PM

Me too, I thought they went sleepy for the winter season, however, just this week, found several younger ones, including one tiny bark scorpion in the corner of my yard, some momma dropped her batch off nearby. I just came in from spraying the area. And I saw some down below in the open space below our backyard. Tomorrow I gonna head down there and spray that area too. I wish I knew what their effective night predator was and grew and trained them myself

I wonder what Arizonans did before UV flash lights came along, before good weatherstripping came along.

Must have been crazy here.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:16 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times
Comb, tweezers and tape. The comb to pull/push the burrs out. Usually use the leatherman pliers to get any larger spines left. Those really small spines will mostly stick to the tape. Tape isn't perfect but gets most of them out. As the article said most of the smaller stuff will work it's way out of the body eventually.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Me too, I thought they went sleepy for the winter season, however, just this week, found several younger ones, including one tiny bark scorpion in the corner of my yard, some momma dropped her batch off nearby. I just came in from spraying the area. And I saw some down below in the open space below our backyard. Tomorrow I gonna head down there and spray that area too. I wish I knew what their effective night predator was and grew and trained them myself

I wonder what Arizonans did before UV flash lights came along, before good weatherstripping came along.

Must have been crazy here.
I haven't been blacklighting for awhile now, since I don't see any in my traps or otherwise; tomorrow I have my last pest control service until February, hopefully..I can usually skip dec/January, but, if it continues to stay summer like here all winter, then things might be different...last year there was quite a few cold mornings/days, but, no sign of that so far this year..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:16 AM

I had a couple mornings in the 50s the other week. My first fall/winter here, so just learning the environment and how the bugs work.
I hate seeing babies, because that means a mother is in the area producing, and there might be another ten roaming around.

When do you observe that they go underground for winter... at what temp?

p.s. I am really impressed how tough these things are to kill by pressure. I can step on them on gravel, and 8 times out of 10 they crawl away. I can press on them with my tweezers and they move around unless I push to pierce their exoskeleton. They are tough little critters. The one sensitive spot seems to be on their back... if you touch their pincers that's not gonna upset them. Or even touch their tail. But if you touch their back, that's when that stinger starts flailing away.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM

yeah, we had a couple mornings in the 50's here too; last year, in dec/jan, we had a few mornings in the 27-32 degree range, but the year before that, there weren't any..
I doubt there is any temp in which they totally go underground out here, since the ground never really "freezes", nor do many cold spells last for more than a day or 2, and even then its still 50-60 during the day.

yes, stepping on them in gravel won't kill them, doing it on solid ground might,or whacking them with a hammer, but, for me, the only way to be sure they are dead is to either put them in the deep freeze over night after catching them, or, my preferred way is to spray them with Brake Kleen, which is a sure fire way to kill the bastards almost instantly..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yeah, we had a couple mornings in the 50's here too; last year, in dec/jan, we had a few mornings in the 27-32 degree range, but the year before that, there weren't any..
I doubt there is any temp in which they totally go underground out here, since the ground never really "freezes", nor do many cold spells last for more than a day or 2, and even then its still 50-60 during the day.

yes, stepping on them in gravel won't kill them, doing it on solid ground might,or whacking them with a hammer, but, for me, the only way to be sure they are dead is to either put them in the deep freeze over night after catching them, or, my preferred way is to spray them with Brake Kleen, which is a sure fire way to kill the bastards almost instantly..
Fun thing to try...since there are various schools of thought here...but freezing a scorpion has varying effects on them. We have frozen them before, just to have them start moving around after thawing out. I think it has to be really cold in order to kill the scorpion and your typical consumer freezer just doesn't get cold enough. We did freeze a couple in water and that seemed to do it...but I think that was more due to the fact that the freezing ice cracked their exoskeleton.

Vacuum sealing was interesting as well

Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,086,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Most insect sprays will kill them if they get a direct hit. Once I ran across a YouTube video where a guy demonstrated using roach spray on a scorpion, with Bohemian Rhapsody playing in the background! I did try the roach spray one time when I was out of the Terro Scorpion spray, and it worked fine.

This time of year they are looking for warmer places to hang out, including inside your house. In October I mostly stop black lighting the yard, and just look on the house, especially right under the roofline where I do see them on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: