Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:29 PM

30 posts, read 33,362 times

Advertisements

Considering the area, for now I am just wondering if the temperatures are unseasonably warm this summer.
I've been watching the area's temperatures. Better questions later. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:36 PM

402 posts, read 620,208 times
PV is 100. Prescott is consistently in the 90s. Safe to say the climate is shifting. Only tolerable summer spot in AZ is going to be Flagstaff.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:55 PM

30,415 posts, read 12,012,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitless View Post
Considering the area, for now I am just wondering if the temperatures are unseasonably warm this summer.

Usually the monsoon kicks in by now in Southern Arizona. Usually in late June in Cochise County. About July 3rd in Tucson. Without it and the very dry air the temperatures are much hotter than usual.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:21 PM

Thank you for the speedy replies. Those are GREAT answers, certainly better than
"no, it is always this hot, no matter what city-data says. "

I was hoping to take a two-wheel ride down there this September.
Surely the monsoon would not run into September, no matter what, right?
From city-data, I guessed that it never runs past mid-August. A month ago,
I would have considered going down there in August, but with all the Arizona COVID
kerfuffle, I figure waiting a bit might do me good. I would not want to raise eyebrows
in the face of shelter-in-place recommendations, despite me not expecting to actually get
near anyone.

Honestly, were it not for the virus I would like to chat-up a realtor when I visit,
but maybe city-data folks can allay (or amplify) all my fears.

(Please do not fear me. I am decidedly more Right-leaning.
I used to be middle-of-the-road but things are getting skewed. Ha, ha.
I only toss this in because I have often read of states neighboring CA being turned
into CA by CA refugees. Californians ruin one state and then want to ruin others
that clearly do not align with their values.)

Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,947,721 times
The truth is that the monsoons are pretty un predictable, as to when they "start" and when they "end"..it can be earlier or later, but Mother Nature doesn't care about a calendar..

And, once its over 110 degrees, how much more doesn't matter; you dont want to be out in the sun AT ALL at those temps, even the shade isnt really "cooler", and, it will take some time to get used to these temperatures, so, if you haven't spent serious time here in the summer, I would plan on some visits before you decide to commit to it..

Old 07-09-2020, 05:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,724,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitless View Post
Sierra Vista typically sees highs in the low 90s and lows in the mid to high 60s in July. We are having a region wide heatwave right now due to an expansive high pressure dome over the southwest and Southern plains

Old 07-10-2020, 05:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 3,001,389 times
I did swamp for four years in Rio Rico, no regrets. You did get an occasional reminder of scorching heat, but it always cooled off at night. At 4300 feet elevation.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,730,620 times
I lived in the area in -67-68 while serving with the Army.
My wife was born/raised just up the road in Tombstone.
Late in life with a job transfer for the wife we returned to Hereford (right next to SV).
At that point we had property at the base of the Huachuca Mountains at the peak of the valley.
Nice view but the winds could be really bad taking shingles off the roof on a regular basis.
Temps can get warm, this will give you the monthly averages.
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...529ea97ab1f999
Monsoons primarily in Late June trough early Sep could be severe and damage property also. But over the years they have tended to be less so.

We got tired of the wind and the heat and the illegals that were a constant stream from over the border. They would hide from the Border Patrol and other agencies in the area on our property and leave trash ans sometimes leave the water running from our well.
Relocated some years ago to get away from all that.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I lived in the area in -67-68 while serving with the Army.
My wife was born/raised just up the road in Tombstone.
Late in life with a job transfer for the wife we returned to Hereford (right next to SV).
At that point we had property at the base of the Huachuca Mountains at the peak of the valley.
Nice view but the winds could be really bad taking shingles off the roof on a regular basis.
Temps can get warm, this will give you the monthly averages.
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...529ea97ab1f999
Monsoons primarily in Late June trough early Sep could be severe and damage property also. But over the years they have tended to be less so.

We got tired of the wind and the heat and the illegals that were a constant stream from over the border. They would hide from the Border Patrol and other agencies in the area on our property and leave trash ans sometimes leave the water running from our well.
Relocated some years ago to get away from all that.
Did you have a very large piece of land such that parts of your land were out of view of your dwelling?
I noticed a number of mobile homes on land had 4 acre parcels and it seemed neighbors were clearly visible
to one another.

I guess I'm asking whether your place was somewhat remote and thus more inviting for such visitors?

Thanks to all for posting their input.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:54 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,730,620 times
Yes we had a typical 4 acre plot.
Our property sat at the end of the road (dirt/gravel) however and off the more or less main road we were the last home of 4 on the road so we were accessible but nobody came down that road except the residents.
We lived on the east side of HWY 92, mostly mobile homes there, but on the west side of HWY 92 there were many stick built homes nestled right up next to the bast of the Huachuca Mountains.
Nice view of the 10,000 ft peak from our properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona