Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,005,697 times

Advertisements

Heads up to anyone scheduling an appointment for a new ID. MVD is not carrying over your previous photo and requiring a new photo when you check in for your appointment. Caught a few people off guard including myself. In my case I was going in for the Real ID compliant drivers license. Currently I have a COVID beard and have not groomed myself in nearly a year. I did not think it prudent to get a Real ID that did not reflect my normal look. Not to mention I had been wearing a hat and mask all morning and my hair and beard was matted to my head/face.

Hopefully they are mentioning the new photo requirement during the appointment scheduler and I missed it but this was also an issue for a few folks ahead of me so I am thinking they may not be.

Make sure you a prepared for a new mug shot when you arrive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 07:58 AM

404 posts, read 767,743 times
It's been that way for a few years (well, at least since 2018). Like you, I was surprised and disappointed at having to get a new photo taken.

Depending on your age and travel preferences, you may want to consider getting a passport card (or renewing your passport and opting for a passport card as well). It functions as a Real ID, is valid for 10 years, and easily fits in your wallet. Additionally, it will work on its own for travel (land/sea only, apparently - no international air travel) to Canada and Mexico and a few other countries in the Caribbean.

This gives you the advantage of not having to renew your DL until you hit 65 (though MVD may require you to still update your picture every 10 years or so (I believe that's free). The cost for the passport card is $65 (first time) or $30 (renewal), but you'd have to pay $25 just for an AZ Real ID, so for $5-$35 more you get a convenient passport for non-air travel to some nearby countries.

Anyway, just an option for those that may look forward to traveling once COVID is less of an issue. More information available here: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona