Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

Hi All

we live in Indianapolis since last 7 years. Its all winter here . My son 1.2 years old has pretty good eczema, he gets dry patches and itchy skin on his chicks, hand and legs.. those are specific spots..

I have got really good offer in chandler AZ and we are planning to move there.. my biggest concern is my sons eczema..

i am reading about it to put lots of humidifiers in each room drink water.. my intuition is his eczema will be better in Arizona as dry weather should help him little bit.. he is miserable in winter..

can you guys share your experience/??
that will certainly help me..

what are DOs and DONTs..

we really liked AZ but its the only deal breaker thing we have now
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 12:06 PM

416 posts, read 534,823 times
You should fit right in. Plenty of good Dr`s here to help. I would check in with them.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:20 PM

92 posts, read 112,205 times
People w/eczema on average do better when the air is humid, and worse when the air is dry. That is why you have a hard time in the winter, since the air is dryer in the winter. Chandler sits in a desert. Deserts are dry for a large part of the year, and this makes the air dry as well. Therefore, while the air temperature will be different than what you are used to, the low humidity levels will not.

With diligent care and proper medical treatment, you can manage eczema anywhere. So if you are doing all the right things and are managing well your son's eczema, you won't have any problem in Chandler. But don't think that moving to the desert will eliminate or even substantially decrease the need for care. Although the winter is the worst time for the majority of eczema patients, there is a smaller sub-set of patients that do worse in the summer, when they get all hot and sweaty. It seems from your post that your son belongs to the former group, but just know that it may turn out that he needs even more care when he gets hot and sweaty. And everyone gets hot and sweaty for a large part of the year in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

As far as do't and don'ts:
Do move to Chandler, as long as you can stand the summertime temps and the traffic. There's a lot to see and do in both the immediate area, and in AZ overall.
Do continue diligent daily care, and medical care as necessary. Yes, I know that can get tiresome, but care needs to be daily.. The more you let it get out of hand, the more difficult it is to reign back in.

Don't think that simple measures such as humidfiers are enough. Not even close.
Don't think that the mere act of drinking water will help and eczema patient. Eczema doesn't happen because a person is thirsty. And if you think this person is dehydrated, then you have bigger problems than his/her's eczema.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 PM

757 posts, read 837,874 times
What does your current pediatrician say? If dryness has an adverse effect on your child, AZ is not where you want to be. You’re talking DRY here. Really dry. Poor kid. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
I have eczema. The reason winter is always worse for me is because the air is dry. So I am not sure moving to a desert climate like Arizona would make eczema better. I would think it would make it harder to manage.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:47 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njm4206 View Post
Hi All

we live in Indianapolis since last 7 years. Its all winter here . My son 1.2 years old has pretty good eczema, he gets dry patches and itchy skin on his chicks, hand and legs.. those are specific spots..

I have got really good offer in chandler AZ and we are planning to move there.. my biggest concern is my sons eczema..

i am reading about it to put lots of humidifiers in each room drink water.. my intuition is his eczema will be better in Arizona as dry weather should help him little bit.. he is miserable in winter..

what are DOs and DONTs..

I am a PA and had young kids there.

Unless getting really dirty only bathe twice a week. You also only need to think about soap in the fold areas. Neck armpits butt groin.

The water, climate and soap all are excessively drying on the skin with the little ones.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:12 AM

246 posts, read 120,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njm4206 View Post
Hi All

what are DOs and DONTs..

This is your son you are talking about. Surely you need to get the advice of a real pediatrician, face to face with your son. I realize doctors are not gods. But eczema is a common ailment. You cannot trust your sons health to anyone on a online forum. Not this one or any forum. Take your son to a pediatrician.

DO get your son medical help

DON'T rely on online forums.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,612 times
I also suffer from eczema and mine is on my hands. Horrible condition to deal with. For me living in a dry climate versus living in a humid one didn't seem to make a difference either way. I did find that using CeraVe moisturizing cream helped mine get better. I use it daily to keep my eczema away. If I miss more than one day it comes back. Your son has my sympathies, I know how he suffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona