Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

Hi me and my husband were planning on moving here from Texas. He has been to college for auto cad drafting and was looking to move arizona because were trying to get out of his parents house. He was helping them because they were in a bind. He also knows how to custom paint homes and commercial buildings. We were wondering if anyone knew how the construction jobs are so he can know weather or not to look for a constrution jobs or just start looking for jobs for drafting. Please help. i really do appreciate any one who replys . I thank you in advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Housing is slow everywhere...commercial construction seems to be going on as usual, but you did not specify where in AZ you are interested in living.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,480 times
It might be somewhat difficult, since there are a lot of people getting laid off or already laid off, due to the housing market correction. Doesn't hurt to look, though. Try checking some online job posting sites to get a feel of what's available.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We are not hiring draftsmen right now and we have received a few resumes from those recently layed off. I would not make the move at this time if I were in your shoes.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We are not hiring draftsmen right now and we have received a few resumes from those recently layed off. I would not make the move at this time if I were in your shoes.
I agree. The number of engineering design jobs is way down and the clients who have projects can't find financing for them. The money guys are even pulling the rug out from under projects in progress or going bankrupt and can't deliver on their commitments. It's been worse, but it's still rough.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree. The number of engineering design jobs is way down and the clients who have projects can't find financing for them. The money guys are even pulling the rug out from under projects in progress or going bankrupt and can't deliver on their commitments. It's been worse, but it's still rough.
Ive never seen the economy this bad, but then Im a GenX dude.

dj

Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djauto View Post
Ive never seen the economy this bad, but then Im a GenX dude.

dj
It was worse in the S&L crisis of the 80s/90s. Hundreds of banks went under including several in AZ. They were tossing developers in jail for fraud. Entire master planned developments like the Islands in Gilbert and Estrella in Goodyear went under or were taken over by the Feds in a bailout that cost billions and one we will be paying on for decades and decades. Today we see slow sales and only a few minor players going out of business. Prices on homes did not drop quite as far as they have today but then they were not wildly inflated at the start. Most people who had equity at the time the prices here surged around 2004 have not lost any of it. Indeed they even have a piece of the inflated equity left. Several national publications basically wrote our epitaph. Today, the mood is more "this too shall pass".

Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 PM

63 posts, read 225,678 times
Impact from the underlying problems at hand haven't had enough time to sink in, give it another 6-12 months, it's going to get just as ugly as the S&L crisis of 80's/90's..

Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwnorth View Post
Impact from the underlying problems at hand haven't had enough time to sink in, give it another 6-12 months, it's going to get just as ugly as the S&L crisis of 80's/90's..
I disagree strongly.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM

79 posts, read 387,666 times
I tend to agree with drwnorth. The worst hasn't come yet.

There will be many more jobs lost in construction and related fields in AZ. Considering that at some time almost every 4th job in the state was in construction and related fields, I assume that there are tons of people here desperate for work in these fields. So if you are not here yet, don't come right now.

The crisis seems not only to affect the worker level alone, even the so called "white collar" level is severely affected. A friend of mine is an architect who recently moved his whole business to the Pacific Northwest because he said there was no hope in AZ. Another friend of mine owns a landscaping business that specialized in creating new landscaping, not in maintenance, he lately fired every single one of his employees. No business any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: