Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 24,006 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of moving to Az from FLA but we found out that AZ has a State Income Tax. Wheras we dont have a income tax in Fla. We need some advice on the State Income Tax. When you file your state & federal taxes do you get the income state tax back? Also how much percentage are you taxed? I know these are weird questions but we just arent sure of the answer & have looked everywhere for answers so thought we would post here for some great answers. Thanks Again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM

197 posts, read 751,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wildatv View Post
We were thinking of moving to Az from FLA but we found out that AZ has a State Income Tax. Wheras we dont have a income tax in Fla. We need some advice on the State Income Tax. When you file your state & federal taxes do you get the income state tax back? Also how much percentage are you taxed? I know these are weird questions but we just arent sure of the answer & have looked everywhere for answers so thought we would post here for some great answers. Thanks Again!!!
I don't know if you're retired or not, but retirementliving.com provides info on "Taxes by State".

Although there is state income tax in AZ, property tax and homeowners insurance costs much less than in FL, which is why we will probably move to AZ when our home sells here in Washington State.

iuki

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM

551 posts, read 2,725,598 times
You don't get your AZ state income tax back, but if you itemize your federal tax return, you can deduct the amount you pay for state income tax.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wildatv View Post
Interesting question, 1Wildatv.

Having lived in a few different states, I am a firm believer the overall tax burden (exceptions such as California, New York and Hawaii) usually balances out. One states hits harder on Sales Tax while another one hits on Income Tax or Vehicle Registration and/or Property Taxes.

Personally, I would never return to Florida mainly due to the humidity and the overall higher cost of living in spite of the State Income Tax.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
AZ is a good place if you make a lot of money and own an expensive house. Income tax rates are relatively low and are not very progressive (high income people don't get stuck much more than low ones do) and property taxes and insurance are lower than most anywhere. It is a bad place to live if you want to buy an expensive car every year or two or, God forbid, a motorhome. The vehicle taxes are staggering. They have oxygen bottles and smelling salts at MVD for newcomers who hear what their registration is going to cost them (just kidding).

Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
wng

72 posts, read 245,351 times
+1 Ponderosa...

The vehicle registration tax is quite high.
I came from MA in hopes to be relieved of their 'exise' tax on vehicles...also very high.
This tax is highway robbery.
We already paid sales tax on the vehicle, a possible luxury tax and/or gas guzzler tax...we pay federal AND state fuel taxes, registration and inspection fees, and driver's license. We then pay the core charge/disposal fee on tires, batteries, etc. And in MA also a fee to dispose of your old car (should you not sell it and must scrap it).

At least it's not Oregon where they want to charge you per mile driven too. NUTS!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is a bad place to live if you want to buy an expensive car every year or two or, God forbid, a motorhome. The vehicle taxes are staggering. They have oxygen bottles and smelling salts at MVD for newcomers who hear what their registration is going to cost them (just kidding).
LMBO . . . great post, Ponderosa.

However, no matter how bad the vehicle taxes are here, they are a "walk in the park" compared to California.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,077 times
Say.. can you give an example of what kind of taxes, and
a ball-park price/costs on cars, trucks, Rv's pull/motorized?
From what I have seen.. If you buy from private owner, you
are not charged a sales tax? But if you by off a dealer lot, you
are charged a sales tax? If so.. can you explain why.
What about after moving there full-time and you want (have to)..
register/transfer your car/truck/Rv over to Arizona regs/plates, what
kind of costs are we talking about.. can you give an example?
Thanks! How does Arizona break-down the registration/tags/plate
charges?
Thanks Folks!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Say.. can you give an example of what kind of taxes, and
a ball-park price/costs on cars, trucks, Rv's pull/motorized?
From what I have seen.. If you buy from private owner, you
are not charged a sales tax? But if you by off a dealer lot, you
are charged a sales tax? If so.. can you explain why.
What about after moving there full-time and you want (have to)..
register/transfer your car/truck/Rv over to Arizona regs/plates, what
kind of costs are we talking about.. can you give an example?
Thanks! How does Arizona break-down the registration/tags/plate
charges?
Thanks Folks!
It's hard to give a ballpark because it is tax (and is deductible) that depends on the value of your vehicle. Cheap cars and older cars cost less. Try 2.5% of what your vehicle is worth. I got that by taking fees for my vehicles and doing the math. It goes down by 16% each year, so for old cars, the fees are OK. A 150K MSRP motorhome would cost you about 4000 bucks though (per year). A typical new 5th wheel would be around $500 the first year. New cars would be about $500 too for the average car. MVD cruises parking lots of large employers and sends "courtesy notices" to people with out of state plates to get them registered. There is a hefty fine for not registering here if you have a job, kids in school etc. There is also a web site to turn in people who don't register. http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/motorvehicl...tAViolator.ASP

Sales tax is a different thing. You pay it once. If you move from out of state you generally don't pay sales tax on a car you own. You don't pay on private sales because we, the people, passed an initiative prohibiting it. It was that way, the legislature changed it on the orders of their owners (the money boys), the people voted and it went back to what it was.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-22-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,077 times
Hi..
In Indiana you pay sales tax on cars, trucks, Rv's, .. even on utility trailers
and it does not matter if you got it from private owner or off a lot.
Indiana sets it tag rates by year and class/weight. If you buy from a private
owner, you go into DMV and they ask you the amount you paid for the
used vehicle .. if you or the seller did not already list selling price on title,
then they figure sales tax on stated price.

Now in Arkansas you have no sales tax on any vehicle under a value of 3K.
But they do charge you a "property tax" on the vehicle... still taxed, just
call it something else lol! And the property tax is each year along with
tags/registration costs.

I like the Idea if you buy from private owner, you are not charged a sales...
very nice! How do the used car dealers feel about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona