Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

264 posts, read 1,152,117 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and the family will be taking a trip to the grand canyon come mid-march. I was wondering what to do or see besides the canyon. Im looking at a road map here and see a lot of indian reservations around, I was wondering if there was anything interesting to see there. Having some native blood (Choctaw) in me, I thought it would be very cool to see how some of the southwest tribes operate. Also thinking of the west, naturally I thought of the cowboys and indians. Im sure yall hear a lot of people wondering about the canyon, probably gets tiring, but when I make it all the way out there (from TN) itll be my first and probably last trip there, so I really want to do all there is to. Thanks yall so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

13,214 posts, read 21,842,161 times
Not much to see on the Indian reservations unfortunately. They're big and spread out over huge tracts of ranch land. Residential areas are fairly impoverished enclaves of unattractive trailer homes. It would be hard to try to observe these people without getting in their faces.

You might want to visit Grand Canyon West, however. It's completely run by the Hualapai Indian Tribe and NOT by the National Park Service. They scalp you $50 per adult to gain admission. However, that includes about a half-day's worth of activities including bus rides to various view spots, a recreated western town, and recreated Indian villages. You get lunch included for that price. There are a few strategically placed Indian jewelry concessions, reasonably priced too. I thought the views there were quite good too. It's also home to the somewhat infamous and controversial Skywalk, a glass runway out over the canyon. However, they'll clip you an extra $25 for going out on it. Regardless, $75 for a 1/2 day's worth of entertainment ain't bad. And you'll certainly be able to get up close and personal with the Indians who work there, and maybe get a good conversation or two.

How long will you be in town for? You might consider visiting the Grand Canyon Caverns between Peach Springs and Seligman on Rt66. Also, Page, AZ is a great place to visit to see the Antelope Slot Canyons, Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend, and some other really cool sights. Lots of Indians in that town too, maybe most of the population in fact.

Here's a picture of the dance troup at GC West (seriously).

Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
do spend time at the Grand Canyon - plan at least a couple days, maybe basing in Tusayan, just outside the park, or in the park itself (much more convenient) at one of the concessionaire-run lodgings.....take a hike, go to the museum, enjoy the view, watch a sunrise and sunset....

be ready for lots of driving out here between cities and attractions....you may also want to check out the Meteor Crater, Wupatki and Sunset Crater Natl Monuments, ski at Snow Bowl near Flag, drive sections of old Route 66, hike in the forest, go down to the Phoenix area since it'll be much warmer down there and explore the flowering desert (March).....call the state visitor bureau or go online for more help.....

Grand Canyon West is a decent destination, but is a bit of a drive toward Las Vegas and somewhat out of the way....some unpaved road along the way....but you will see "real" natives....

you may also see Navajos in Flagstaff or in areas N of there....if you approach the Grand Canyon from the E side thru Cameron, stop at the Cameron "trading post" for a meal and a look at the store....decent stuff for tourist prices and Navajos will probably help you....

otherwise, you will not see quaint "Arizona Highways" scenes of Indian life by just driving down reservation roads....you'll see lots of open land, occasional government-built modular housing areas, some usually-closed "jewelry" stands, and the towns will just look like any somewhat-poor American town with natives there instead of European-descent types.....the best artists are not sitting out by the highway in the sun demonstrating their craft.....they are inside their own remote home and have a contract, probably, with some Sedona or Scottsdale gallery

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 33,595 times
Check out Monument Valley, north east corner of AZ Navajo Nation, its fantastic, also the north rim of the Canyon, its a drive but worth it

i did the skywalk and the west rim also, be prepared to drive 20 miles of bad road lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona