Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 78,251 times

Advertisements

As a SoCal resident and Arizona property owner, I believe that this is a golden opportunity for the State of Arizona. The cost of living here for the working class just gets harder and more difficult as the years go by. Property taxes alone are insane. Who can afford to pay 6k to 10k per year just to live in a decent neighborhood all the while our school system is flunking out 50% of their students. And the only answer the State has is to increase taxes even more. My registration doubled this year. It seems California is doing everything in its power to make it as difficult to live or due business here.

So here is my suggestion:

1. The State of Arizona should lower taxes of all kinds.
2. Put out a nationwide advertising campaign saying "Arizona is open for Business".

I am sure the middle class and businesses would flock to Arizona which would be a boom to your economy. And the good news is the ubundant welfare crowd that we have here would stay put as their checks will still come in the mail no matter what the economy. The wealthy elite will also stay in Malibu as they too can ride out any rescession. It's the hard working middle class and businesses that hire them that are looking for a break.

just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Yeah, that's a good idea. Lower taxes. Hell, why not cancel taxes altogether. After all, who needs schools, roads, libraries, services, water, sewers, etc?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM

687 posts, read 2,952,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Yeah, that's a good idea. Lower taxes. Hell, why not cancel taxes altogether. After all, who needs schools, roads, libraries, services, water, sewers, etc?
finally got indoor plumbing in Kingman, eh?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Don't need roads, libraries, water or sewers. Dig a hole, no water? Time to move. Remember outhouses? A big hole in the ground to take a crap. I never visit the libraries in Phoenix because the college libraries have better hours then the city library. Who would go to a library 8 to 5? Stupid hours. Who needs roads, all they do is collect heat and group drunk, angry people.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
The wealthy professional class is not fleeing California in large numbers. Arizona doesn't need any working class people who come because taxes are low. When taxes are too low, you get the bottom of the barrel in everything. What we need are educated, progressive people who are capable of earning big salaries in markets of the future. Taxes don't discourage that kind of professional. Excellent schools from K through college, public spaces, quality transit, accessible cultural amenities, and socially liberal thinking is what they are looking for. We have a lot of work to do.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM

36 posts, read 78,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The wealthy professional class is not fleeing California in large numbers. Arizona doesn't need any working class people who come because taxes are low. When taxes are too low, you get the bottom of the barrel in everything. What we need are educated, progressive people who are capable of earning big salaries in markets of the future. Taxes don't discourage that kind of professional. Excellent schools from K through college, public spaces, quality transit, accessible cultural amenities, and socially liberal thinking is what they are looking for. We have a lot of work to do.
Agreed that any State could use more educated high salary individuals. However, I disagree with your premis that low taxes would be an incentive to the "bottom of the barrel". An individual living on subsidies in Lynwood, for example, has nothing to gain or lose by taxes going up or down. They essentially are unaffected by taxes or recessions. They are affected by inflation but that's another topic. I believe this same reasoning also applies to low income earners as they do not pay taxes directly, but do pay property taxes indirectly through rent. It's the middle class that has the most to gain by moving to a low tax, low cost of living area such as Arizona.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 PM

44 posts, read 134,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU Alumni View Post
As a SoCal resident and Arizona property owner, I believe that this is a golden opportunity for the State of Arizona. The cost of living here for the working class just gets harder and more difficult as the years go by. Property taxes alone are insane. Who can afford to pay 6k to 10k per year just to live in a decent neighborhood all the while our school system is flunking out 50% of their students. And the only answer the State has is to increase taxes even more. My registration doubled this year. It seems California is doing everything in its power to make it as difficult to live or due business here.

So here is my suggestion:

1. The State of Arizona should lower taxes of all kinds.
2. Put out a nationwide advertising campaign saying "Arizona is open for Business".

I am sure the middle class and businesses would flock to Arizona which would be a boom to your economy. And the good news is the ubundant welfare crowd that we have here would stay put as their checks will still come in the mail no matter what the economy. The wealthy elite will also stay in Malibu as they too can ride out any rescession. It's the hard working middle class and businesses that hire them that are looking for a break.

just a thought.
I would say it already is happening but people are not all going to Arizona, they just want out of California. Arkansas has been a popular spot for quite a few of them.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU Alumni View Post
Agreed that any State could use more educated high salary individuals. However, I disagree with your premis that low taxes would be an incentive to the "bottom of the barrel". An individual living on subsidies in Lynwood, for example, has nothing to gain or lose by taxes going up or down. They essentially are unaffected by taxes or recessions. They are affected by inflation but that's another topic. I believe this same reasoning also applies to low income earners as they do not pay taxes directly, but do pay property taxes indirectly through rent. It's the middle class that has the most to gain by moving to a low tax, low cost of living area such as Arizona.
I meant "bottom of the barrel" in the many services that are provided by taxes. The bottom of the barrel in people don't pay much tax as you have observed.

I wonder though. If you look around the country, there is a strong correlation between low taxes and low educational attainment, high rates of teen pregnancy, low wages, poor medical facilities and care, lousy roads and the list goes on. There are some exceptions, of course. And high taxes don't guarantee the opposite. But it seems that low taxes virtually guarantees lower standard of living for persons born, raised, and especially educated in those states. Cause and effect? I don't know and am not trying to argue that - just making the observation.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
If a company is seeking to move their business from one state to another, or to even start up, one of the critical questions that is to be answered is, what kind of potential employees are available to the company? What kind of education is available.

And another question is, what is the quality of life like for employees that will transfer. This encompasses a lot of ground - but taxes, schools, recreational opportunities etc are vital in the decision making. What is the cost of living in the area - housing, utilities etc.

Frankly, Arizona is very lucky to have a great quality of life. Low(er) cost of living compared to states like California, New York etc. We have great schools of all levels.

To the Original Poster - Good thread!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,731 times
getting rid of all amenities is difinitely not a way to attract good people~or their money
people are not attracted to high crime and crouds! And counter to above poster Az schools are NOT highly rated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona