Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times

Advertisements

Most of the info I could find include the "high-desert" and didn't specific what was Pine and what was not.

I do know we have one of the largest strips of Pine forest in the country though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Most of the info I could find include the "high-desert" and didn't specific what was Pine and what was not.

I do know we have one of the largest strips of Pine forest in the country though.
Ponderosa pine, yes. THE largest, in the world, I believe.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

Google has finally failed me, you can get this information from Washington state, but AZ is all closed up on this. You would think with the largest Pondarosa forest in US, AZ would have data on this. I wonder if I called the forestry service if they would have a clue. I never seem to reach the know it alls when I call the government.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Cant seem to google this. I have friends that live in Washington brag that there state is the greenest and that AZ is just this brown desert. We know thats not true( about AZ), at least those of us who live in AZ know, but I cant find an actual number of acres of pine forests. Anybody know where to find the answer, or just knows the answer?
Tell your friends that the national Christmas tree is coming from Arizona this year. Unless it's a cactus, we must have pines here.

National Christmas Tree Coming from Arizona (http://christmasnewswire.com/2009/07/22/national-christmas-tree-coming-from-arizona/ - broken link)

Old 02-21-2010, 03:51 PM

123 posts, read 357,600 times
Default Forest in Camp Verde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
i live on 6.3 acres covered with Juniper trees . i define myself as living in "The Woods" .
What does a juniper tree look like. I live where there's Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines and incense cedars. Anything like that near Camp Verde?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
What does a juniper tree look like. I live where there's Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines and incense cedars. Anything like that near Camp Verde?
I have worked, lived and traveled in Arizona, California, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Colorado and Idaho since the early 1960's. My primary contacts were in the timber and mining industries and being outdoor oriented and a sportsman, I have spent literally thousands of hours in "forested" areas of these various states. That being said (and accepted as background), I'm sorry to say that (IMO) "the type of Pine Forests (and areas of pine trees) that you are familiar with.....are not what you will find (in any decent numbers, or hardly at all) in The Verde Valley and/or surrounding area.

I'm sure your visits to this area (the Verde Valley) will answer a lot of your questions.

I should also add that, IMO, the comments and opinions posted by mohawkx, will be found to be accurate, honest and helpful. Good luck to you in your quest.......................and please post your impressions and thoughts after your visit(s) to the area.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Sprite View Post
they are around Camp Verde . at first look at one you'd think you are looking ata scraggly Christmas tree . thay have branches spread out down to ground level and soread out wide .

Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM

94 posts, read 245,299 times
Living in both states for many years I can say that it's a terminology thing. AZ has the "largest single stand" of Ponderosa pine in the US. All of the center of WA is more desolate than about any place in a AZ. Researching is part of my business. I will come up with area. As other have said the hard part is going to be what do you call forest. I an going to use the dictionary and it says " land that is covered with trees and shrubs"

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM

94 posts, read 245,299 times
Unfortunately Az did not report on this link below. Wa has 21 million acres of forest land.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Note that on the above New Mexico has 16 million acres
On this map Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
that NM and AZ are the same shade of green and they are about the same size meaning they about the same amount of forest.

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
http://www.city-data.com/states/Arizona-Forestry.html

There is also some information about forests in the Statistical Abstract of the United States. It was taking too much time to download and it is getting late here, so you are welcome to go search on this website on your own.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona